TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. dockelly

dockelly LawnSite Member

I have seen several tips regarding keeping blades sharp and quality results, but as a newbie I am interested in hearing more on blade philosophy. Ie: high lift vs gators, blade thickness and ease of sharpening, modified sharpening, double blade configuation etc. Eric ELM has some great pics of these blades on his site but no real pro's and con's on the various set ups. I think it would play a big roll in acheving quality result and the effect it may have on the mower (wear, safty etc.). Any thoughts?

2. Loyds Lawn Service

Loyds Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Who in here bags their customers cuttings. So I am new to the lawn service and know what I like in my yard, but several services in my area don't bag. Whats the pros and cons of bagging not bagging ?

3. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Best tip I can give for the new guy is to use Fluid Film for all your corrosion protection and lubrication needs. If you've never tried a can and live within the Continental United States, just send me a pm with a physical shipping address and I'll get a can right out to you. :usflag:

4. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

Fix a flat and slime are two different products. Fix a flat is explosive and I wouldn't recommend it. Slime is exactly that green slime, Don't really know what it is, but I know it's sake I have run it in all my stuff for years. Works great, it's not a quick fix, you put it in and leave it in.
    I have carried a small tool box and first aid kit from day 1. Spare parts can make a bad day a little better too. Safety is a no brainer, always wear protection ear, eye, foot. Yes FOOT, I have seen some wear sneakers or less. Buy some QUALITY work boots, your feet will thank you!

5. workinallthetime

workinallthetime LawnSite Member

good points !!!!
    i dont know if it was here or somewhere else i saw the quote of " you can walk on a wooden leg, pick up stuff with a metal arm, but you cant SEE out of a glass eye.
    As for the boot thing thats also important my uncle was mowing about 15 years ago with a yazoo and walked around in front of it to pick up a rock and when he did the yazoo rolled foreward and cut off part of his foot, he walked home and waited for 3 hours for someone to get home to take care of him. he was slightly ******** and almost died from mowing. make fun all you want but he was actually "slow" and had a 3rd grade education. i do not and will not ever allow my kids or wife to push mow just because of that.
    boots and glasses are a must i just bought some oaklys yesterday to wear.

6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

To make fun would be more than wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of guys mowing that have got injured from doing something stupid, I know a few.
    an old neighbors daughter ran up to her dad while he was mowing, she lost the top of her foot. It must suc, she grew up to be a hotty, till you get to the foot.

7. sulliaa8

sulliaa8 LawnSite Member

Whats the best source for education in lawn care/ landscaping. I'm sure I can figure out the basics but if I wanted to be truely informed what is recommnded? School, books, mentorship?

8. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

guys how do you deal with customers that agree for a 7 to10 day cut sceduale but will then not stick to it. they let it grow to 6 inches then tell you to come cut.any suggestions !!!!!!

madmac likes this.
  9. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

what to do with customers that will not let you cut on time.

10. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Raise the price or get new customers.