TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. jonboysmole

jonboysmole LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Always bring a change of clothes when you have the runs.:cry:

2. Aquastone Landscaping LLC

Aquastone Landscaping LLC LawnSite Member

I've had this a few times, usually with some of my elderly customers, they think thier pulling one over on you by letting the grass grow knee high before they let you mow again. I tell them this and its worked well for me "your yard needs to be cut every week i'm going to mow it this time when its high, but if i come back in two weeks and its this high agian i'll charge you double because its takes me longer to do and its harder on my equipment."

3. Gimp

Gimp LawnSite Member
    from Houston

What boots do you recommend. How many pairs will I need since I cut 5 days in a row right now. I am in t-shoes right now, and I don't want to be dumb and get hurt.

Also, what is an approximate new price of 36 inch walk behind scag hydro?

Thanks!

4. Aquastone Landscaping LLC

Boots: you should look at some good ankle high boots, I make all my guys were em, i've bought Cat, Wolverines, and Magnums they all seem to work well,
    Scag 36": up here in Wa, a new one will run you just shy of 6k

5. Gimp

Gimp LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Thank you for the reply.

So nothing in particular on the boot brands works better for lawn care. Just a nice pair of name brand ones. That should be an easy addition for me :)

Should I buy more than one pair or is it all right to wear the same pair every day?

6. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I'd recommend "Steel Tip" ankle high!!! Its come in handy several times this season already.

Some recommend "airing out" shoes and boots---letting them dry out completey before wearing them again---so having two pair isn't a bad idea!

7. Aquastone Landscaping LLC

one thing thats really important, make sure your boots are water proof, I know its a no brainer but you could be completely miserable out there if your feet stay soggy all day

8. Gimp

Gimp LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Thank you for the help! :usflag:

9. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

KEEP THESE IN YOUR RIG:
    spare blades, belts, coolant, hydro fluid, oil, bar oil, fuses, fix a flat, trailer tires, LOTS OF TOOLS including metric & standard, air compressor w/assorted fittings, water cooler, fluid film, grease gun, 20" bolt cutters, 2 cycle mix, bungy cords, extra tie downs, log chain, extra chain saw chain, small generator, clean clothes, rain gear, fire extingusher, first aid kit with hydrogen peroxide, crow bar, trimmer line, spark plugs, I'm sure I'm missing things...

10. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

70% rubbing alchohol to go with the 1st aid kit