TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. smut

smut LawnSite Member

Your all so smart. I am very impressed with your knowledge. Thumbs up boys.
  2. USA LawnCare

USA LawnCare LawnSite Member

Is there anything like this for TN?
  3. Tavita

Tavita LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,
    I am new to the landscape business big time. I am trying to estimate different bids and I am not very familar with the conversions, does anyone have a good book or a source that I can view to help me with this process. Thank you!
  4. pderenzo

pderenzo LawnSite Member

Don't forget Insurance, your now in business. Your present vehicle insurance may be void and not covered if your using it for business and the insurance company does not know it. When you file a claim they may refuse to pay because it is used for business. Signs on the truck is a sure give away to the insurance adjuster. So be prepared to be raped by the insurance industry again, generally rates are doubled from what you are presently paying just because your a business.

Blessing to you all
  5. SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain LawnSite Member

Welcome to the business Tavita! I am also a new owner. So new that my trailer decals aren't going on till tomorrow. I worked for someone else in the business for the past six years. I posed the same question here last week. The best I can say is don't lowball yourself. Also don't rob the customer. Take a look at the property, figure in your head a ballpark of time and trouble it will be, then go with whatever pops in your mind, what it would be worth to you. Not robbing a customer and taking pride in your work will keep you in their good graces for years. My last boss has done this for 29 years. Over half of his customers he has kept for atleast 20 years. He does good work, a scrooge on paying his help, but a high quality worker. That is what keeps customers calling you back every spring.
  6. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Don't forget to check your oil. Driving mower home from the neighbors (3 streets over), he had tuned it up for me. He for some reason didn't have the oil hooked up, get home, put it away, realize there is oil from my house back o his. 2 days later cops are at my door and handing me a nice big ticket. Fought the ticket and didn't have to pay it though. :)
  7. allthingsgreen

allthingsgreen LawnSite Member

What do you charge for planting shrubs? Do you charge per shrub or plant? Some advise please.
  8. IXR

IXR LawnSite Member

If I am going to be at the location anyway, and there are only a couple shrubs, I usually don't charge them IF they are a regular customer.
    If it is a 1 time thing, I charge $55 for my service charge then $45 per hour after that.
    That usually gets me in the door and brings repeat business from them... mowing, sprinkler work, ect...
    Hope everyone is having a busy and fun spring!

Newest buy.. John Deere 54" run behind with sulky!
    WAY faster than a rider!!!
  9. AbrahamKC

AbrahamKC LawnSite Member

I read some of the posts and didn't see a few things. I have been running a crew for a larger company for 3 years now and have learned the hard way.

Always always be aware of what your blowing grass at, because god knows when your going to hit a stick and smoke one of your guys in the face and put him down for a day or two.

Water, I buy water for my guys. NO pop/soda/energy drinks. From experience nothing hydrates you like water, pop and such is good but doesn't do a thing for you. Also if your super hot don't go for the coldest water you can find, its super hard on the body. Grab that bottle of water thats been sitting in the sun, also don't pour iced water on your head all tho it feels good it can make you light headed and faint.

Watch what you eat for lunch, if its hot outside no milkshakes. If its cold no Ice Cream. If you don't feel good after lunch I can see it in your work.

Always take pride in your work and treat it as your own. Don't fight with neighbors about property lines if they want to mow 6" of the yard you cut so be it. Respect peoples pets (blowing grass/weed eating) even tho it doesn't look like they are home they are watching you.

Laugh, We always switch the radio stations from yard to yard and sometimes one of us bust out on a solo of some Celine Dion, yeah you make feel a little gay after but if it makes you guys laugh thats all that matters having fun at work makes people preform better. (also at traffic lights during the summer windows down you get the funny looks)

Wave at everyone and always have a smile.
  10. DanDodge

DanDodge LawnSite Member

So how can I find out the going rate in my area (Old Hickory, Tn. Nashville Suburb) so I don't underbid? Should I just call other local services and tell em what I'm doing and ask for their rates?