TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Horticulture Goddess

Horticulture Goddess LawnSite Member

How do you export a thread into Excel? That is a great idea, i've found tons of stuff in this post that i wouldnt have thoughtof. Thx.

2. Horticulture Goddess

Horticulture Goddess LawnSite Member

This is very informative and I love your ideas, particularly since I do garden design. Great tips!!

3. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 LawnSite Member
    from NY

a good thread! =)

4. Jonverobeach

Jonverobeach LawnSite Member

hi everyone,
    I'm Jon and i just started a lawn and tree trimming service in vero beach florida i've been doing this for a few months and havn't done bad, the money is in the trees really av. 15 dollars a palm tree and av. of 10-20 trees per lawn. but now i'm trying to get the lawn accounts. However, most people seem to be extremely loyal to there lawn guys i can't get any of my tree customers to switch to me. and my tree bus. is slow right now. im almost ready to get another job and throw in the towel please help.

5. otis

otis LawnSite Member

disable the safety crap,

6. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I am just starting out and am running into the same problem. I will trim bushes or install mulch and try to pick the lawn up but they say they are loyal to the other guy. I say either one of two things: I can only service full service customers, or certain service services are cheaper to my full service customers. Some fall for it others don't but it does work some times. Just be polite and nice about it.

7. Craig3

Craig3 LawnSite Member

seems ironic at this point.

I'd like to add that neighbors are my target market. I'll pick up any yard w/in a certain distance of home base, but if you see the neighbors talk to them, be nice and respectful to them, do a good job on the account and you may pick that neighbor up some day.

8. Craig3

Craig3 LawnSite Member

tell his insurance agent. You can stick it to him there ;)

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it really is a good thread. The starter of the thread was a great guy who passed away before his time. It's great to see that this thread lives on. Eric went out of his way to help out the "new guy" and I've never seen a lawn that looked better than the ones he serviced.

10. PestPro

PestPro LawnSite Member

I think if he gave you a 1099, then it was up to you. If you are going to start a business, you should have known the difference. If he was not taking out taxes on your pay, you know the goverment is going to get their money from someone.