TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. David Thompson

David Thompson LawnSite Member

And when your eyesight starts going bad Never leave your poligrip in the same room with your preperation H
    It just makes for a long day.

2. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

lol im not looking at 47 pages of text so i apologize if this has been said already.
    DONT BE AFRAID TO WALK AWAY FROM A CUSTOMER/ JOB where SOMEONE WANTS YOU TO LOWBALL So if you know the lawn is 20 bucks DONT tell them you will do it for 10

3. manofire12

manofire12 LawnSite Member

Any tips for a new guy? I started my business last year, and I do only REO's, But it seems this year things are even tighter then last. I had to pawn a few things just so I could afford workers comp, and GL insurance. Anyway to the question, I am running a JD M665 and I am thinking of switching to Snapper. They seem to be a lot cheaper but I know with most things, "Cheaper doesn't always mean better". Any feed back would be great.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You can not get comp as a solo.

Both comp and GL are based on Payroll

5. manofire12

Yeah, I got a ghost policy to start off with.

6. johnwright238

johnwright238 LawnSite Member

Don't ride mowers on steep hills

7. manofire12

now that is a good tip john,thanks. But again, does anyone run Snapper Pro's that can give me some pro's and con's on the equipment?

8. rockpoppy

rockpoppy LawnSite Member

Remember, you're no good disabled, dead or injured.

Must have gear: First aid kit, Safety ear plugs, eye protection, sun block, hat with mudflaps, gloves, safety t-shirts, road cones and lip balm.

IPhone , pens, stamps and envelopes.

Good hygiene, quality apparel and business cards.

And most importantly and just below safety; embrace technology.

9. rockpoppy

....... Dup

10. rockpoppy

....... And I forgot, write this on your dashboard and live by it "Smarter not Harder!"

This single reminder will save you a lot of grief and make you a lot of dough. I guarantee it!