TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I agree 100%. Hit a rock and hurt a person there goes your life. I was sued for a slip and fall about 3 years ago on a property I plowed the snow at. My insurance picked up the lawyer fees and settled it out of court. That was sure a fun year of lawyer meetings and being deposed. Total cost of lawyer fees and her settlement was about 85K. Glad I had insurance.

2. Victorsaur

Victorsaur LawnSite Member

Best advice I can give off of my short 3-4 yrs. experience:

Stick to your guns no matter what. Don't cut dishonest or cheap customers any price breaks. When dealing with good, honest customers, cut them deals whenever you can. When a customer tells you that they are accepting bids either end the conversation right there or instruct them to never contact you again. Not only will you be saving yourself the pain of working for such people, you will also be saving your integrity and moral strength. Don't engage in the degeneration of our industry. Be proud of what you do and who you are.

Trey Brandt likes this.
  3. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

Great advice. That's just what my doctor told me when i was dehydrated a couple of years ago.

4. dullblades

dullblades LawnSite Member

found and joined this site initially because of this thread.
    i have almost no experience in lawn care. but i have been pulling boats and trailers since before i had my license. one thing i can suggest is a spare trailer hub, greased and ready to go. try changing a hub on the side of the road on a sunday in the sticks. its hot, your boat is swaying from the butthole drivers not moving over enough and that pathetic scissor jack is doing little keep the trailer from crushing your legs.
    jack stand, like a floor jack.
    hub and spare tire.
    4 way tire tool.
    and don't buy cheap ass tires.
    carry at least a rachet strap big enough to lift the axle for you to limp home.

obviously, i'm scarred. i know guys that pull boat trailers all summer and never grease the hubs, much less repack the bearings. those little bearing buddy's from wal mart only bathe the outer bearing, not the inner bearing. me, i pull my aluminum mud boat for one summer and the hub locks up on the interstate, going 65mph.

more to come as i recall them... take care.

5. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I think I pay like 200$ a year or less. That's for a solo operation and 500,000$ coverage

6. chawei14

chawei14 LawnSite Member

I'm from Northwest FL, I'm 19 and been in this industry for 2 years, in college full time and am running my own lawn care company full time with about 25 customers. I don't really enjoy it that much because it isn't what I want to do the rest of my life but I've learned tons about how business works.

Here's my 2 cents to any teenagers or anyone getting into this business. You don't ever lowball, and don't ever get a false sense of responsibility toward someone, their urgency isn't your emergency. Find out what the people do for a living before taking on their business so you have some security. Buy reliable equipment!!!!!!! I run a Gravely 44HD with 24hp Kawasaki, Echo weedeaters and edgers and blowers. Don't buy offbrand crap just because it's cheaper, your maintenance support will suck. Just a side note, when buying a riding mower, check the muffler mounts, if the muffler breaks, its not professional to run something as loud as a NASCAR in their yard.

If your a teenager, do not be overconfident and do not take business away from other landscaping guys, this is their livelihood, you probably still live with your parents.

GET AN ALLY, seriously, someone you can count on if you have any sort of extenuating circumstances. You trade favors with that person and don't screw that up.

Lets see here, don't be afraid to give prices, people know what stuff costs, and make sure you either have them mailing you checks or your collecting at the door, don't do any of this mess of calling and meeting up and all this other bull, you'll lose all your profit margin just hunting people down.

God Bless!! and Happy Mowing!!:)

Trey Brandt likes this.
  7. kennymo81

kennymo81 LawnSite Member

Don't buy equipment from an online company like mowersdirect. You will get ripped off. I made that mistake and I am paying for it. Go to a dealer where you can see what you are buying.

8. scag2015

scag2015 LawnSite Bronze Member

Perfect!:)!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. scag2015

Agreed!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. scag2015

Looks great!, I'll give it a try!
    Posted via Mobile Device