TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Member
    from GSO NC

If you have heavy clumping. Take the backpack blower and use it to disperse the clumps.this will break them up and also dry them out and pretty much get rid of all clumps. Try it!

MarktheMower likes this.
  2. MOWNalone

MOWNalone LawnSite Member

Wow 57 pages of great information! Thank you for this.

Steve5389 likes this.
  3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

The sooner you learn to identify "crazy" on the telephone, the better off you will be.

Once a crazy lady actually gets you to come to her home for an estimate, it's too late.

The goal is to "spot the crazy" before you even get to that point and then you can find a reason not to go.

MarktheMower and FromUndaChz like this.
  4. Steve5389

Steve5389 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male

LOL

5. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

6. OakNut

Biweekly cuts. OK, you're new - you think you "need" to take them on.
    You don't, but you don't know any better. Been there - done that.
    Nobody listens, so I'm not going to try and convince you that you don't want to cut overgrown lawns - I'm here to tell you that if you DO want to cut overgrown lawns you had better like stepping in dog poop.

I mean REALLY like stepping in it - because you will - every time.
    The clients may be the nicest people ever who tell you that they will clean up before you arrive, and they just may be telling the truth, BUT the grass is so tall they can't FIND all the poop.

No worries. YOU will find it. Every freaking turd. :mad:

Tall grass and dog poop. No thank you.

MarktheMower and sjessen like this.
  7. Cutting Grass&Cashing In

Cutting Grass&Cashing In LawnSite Member

My wife's favorite ones. 1. Less windshield time , equals more money. 2. Were your activities today, income producing or just goofing off. 3. If your not cutting today. You can clean house.

sjessen likes this.
  8. OakNut

Stop and re-tie your shoes.
    Sometimes you don't notice when your shoes loosen a bit and snugging them back up can make a big difference.

And on that note, a spare pair of shoes and socks are a huge morale boost once your feet get wet. Ahhhhhh... dry feets!

Nashneb likes this.
  9. dullblades

dullblades LawnSite Member

more things i've learned in the few years i've been doing this:
    i think it was said earlier, but tailor your yards to your equipment, not the other way around. you do not need to buy a piece of equipment to mow this one yard. not cost efffective.
    every other week yards suck, and they're a dime a dozen, and the homeowner generally does not keep their place up as well as weekly cuts.
    keep pull rope in the truck. i swear once you break the orginal pull rope, the aftermarket stuff won't last near as long. para cord will work in a pinch.
    know how to break down your equipment, do not hope for the best and get caught with a breakdown to end your day.
    ZTR's will find a way to get stuck. a come along and strap are vital. i'm working on making up a boat winch setup now.
    WALK NEW LAWNS!! found a turnbuckle and dog leash the other day in a new yard, got lucky with nothing broke.
    keep spare blades and tools to change them.
    run your mower up the side of the tailgate to get under the mower for servicing.
    sharp/new blades are wonderful
    learn to say NO. you're the one with the most to loose.
    dog poop SUCKS. charge more if they have a dog, and even more if its a big dog. big dog = big poop. one of my yards has 3 dogs, the smallest is a german shepard. the back yard grows 5x faster due to the amount of poop back there. i hate that yard.
    more to come...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  10. JTK Property Management

JTK Property Management LawnSite Member

Maintain your equipment. Do not buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment just to run it into the ground. Even if all you have is a push mower right now.

MarktheMower likes this.