Tips for 14 year old lawnmower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by clean_cut, Jun 19, 2009.

1. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

So wintertime is a good time to look for a mower, so maybe mow this season with my current mower, then switch over during the winter? Do you think a dealer would actually have a good deal on a used mower? I would think they would be overpriced but I havn't ever looked.

Any tips on what mower to buy (if I buy one)? Scag, Toro, Wright, Exmark, Husqvarna, Great Dane, Hustler, etc. ZTR, Walkbehind/Stand Behind? Heavily used commercial grade, residential grade, etc?:confused:
  2. dan1a1984

dan1a1984 LawnSite Member

dealers do most of there business in the summer so you have some more wiggly room in the off season with price. Supple and demand. Some dealers get back repo or even sell floor models that are less then a year old. if you stop by a dealership and talk to them, let them know what you are doing let them know your price,and ask for advise.

at 14yr old i would not buy anything new

As for brand name everyone here will tell you something different, it boils down to your prefernce. Different machines have different features. Some machines are easier to use then others. You can ask your dad to try out the machines at the dealer to see what is easist to use. Do some reseach on your own. Most guys here list what type of gear they use. Make a list and narrow you list down based on what you can afford and what is avaible in your area. I would not buy anything off of craiglist or ebay unless you know a mechanic. If you are just doing 5 lawns a week your toro will last you a while. I have had my 21inchToro for over 5 years. Good luck and dont be affaird to do your own research.
  3. clean_cut

O.k. I'll stick with my toro for a while, but I'll try to look around for dealers that will be able to service a new mower if I decide to get one. Do you guys know if "Tractor Supply" or simmilar farm equipment stores will be able to service mowers, or do they just sell them?

Thanks for all of your help :clapping:
  4. clean_cut

I was just thinking though, a dealer would be a lot more expensive, should I look and find what mower I want then look for it on craigslist if I decide to get one? Or should I just pay more for a dealer due to their warranty, service, trustability, etc.?

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

you could probably find a good deal on a used 32'' or 36''
  6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Just because its a dealer does not mean their prices are more. Some dealers even sell some of the same junk you see at Home Depot...the difference is they service it as well.
  7. clean_cut

I just found out that my mower is actually ten years old, how long do they usually last? I'll try to check around to see which dealers will service what, and I just found that I might have a possible new customer :cool2:
  8. icatilo

icatilo LawnSite Member

since you are still young to handle such growing business, I suggest you use this software in managing it. It is simple and easy to use and helps you keep track of your customers and their record. I think this is very helpful in handling a growing business.

Good luck and more power to your business!
  9. clean_cut

Thats a little expensive at $97 dollars.:confused:

Anyone else have any other (cheap/free) programs, or should I just work it out on excell, or on paper.
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it's illegal to be mowing at your age and some carriers would likely give you insurance as long as you can pay the premium ... the issue is really how comfrotable your parents are with letting do this on your own ... because ultimately they will be liable if anything happens from a legal perspective (i.e.-lawsuits, etc.) !!