Tips for a possible new REP

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Corey4x4man, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Corey4x4man

Corey4x4man LawnSite Member

Hello all I am new to the forum but have been in the landscape industry form some time now. In the past I works in irrigation repair and installation for ProGrass Landscapes in Portland, OR. I have since left them and currently in the interview process with one of the large irrigation manufactures for an open position as a regional Rep, and am looking for info that would be helpful in getting an offer so I can help to improve the contractor relationships.

My question to you all is what do you look for/ want from your reps? What are the biggest mistakes they make that make you not want to use their products?
    I have my own opinions from past experiences, but it is always good to get a panel.
  2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Don't lie to us when you know a product has failures and don't spam forums.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The most important thing a manufacturer can do is to provide reliable products and good support, along with establishing a dividing line between the professional market and the big box stores.
  4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I miss the freebees the reps handed out 15-20 years ago.
    Hats,t-shirts,coffee mugs,can coolies,product samples,etc.
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. I also miss the fact, that over the years, my REPs knew less than I did and were worthless and time wasting because they had a circuit they were ordered to "service". I threw out my branch REP, as well my as my Hunter REP. :hammerhead:
  6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Read the posts by the Huntertechgeek..

He brings knowledge and answers to the forum without the sales pitch, i guess he figures the sale is already done and it's time for support.

He has helped with a few of the 2wire issues this year.

If a person / rep needs a role model, he is the one.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

Just answer the phone!

Lots of freebies are nice. Last rainbird rep gave me a box of prs 4" rotors before they came out and a box of 6" sprays prs and some rainbird knicknacks after he bought me lunch. He also had a neat head display with mutliple heads mounted together with a series of ball valves that you could hook it up to a water hose and see the new nozzles and heads.
  8. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I agree, answer the phone. If for some reason you can't, call me back. I'm not going to call my rep unless it's important and I've already exhausted all other avenues. Even if you don't know the answer or can't help, I'd rather hear that than be ignored.
  9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't try to make your product look good by knocking the competition. Every manu seems to have good products and bad. From those aimed at DIYs to the ones aimed at pros, there are the out of the gate successes, the dismal failures, and the products that do fine after a little flaw has been fixed.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Corey4x4man

Corey4x4man LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your input! I will keep an eye on the forums and help out whenever possible.