Tips for backing up your truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Shane472, May 20, 2009.

1. Shane472

Shane472 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm used to driving a pick-up where I can see out the rear window but now I find myself driving the dumps a lot where I work and I'm looking for any tips on backing up. I've had to get into some pretty tight places and I'm not doing too bad so far. Just getting comfortable with using my mirrors. Does anyone have any advice or tips that will make it easier? It would be greatly appreciated!

2. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

Use your mirrors always. Look at your left mirror, now right, now left, now right again...go slow and if there is EVER any doubt get out and check.

In my little town we just had a little boy that was run over by a garbage truck in a culdesac last year. He was chasing after after a ball and the driver was in a hurry. Drivers life is wrecked, kids parents life is wrecked, all because of being in a hurry.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Back up till you hear a crunch or bang stop pull ahead and do it again.

Maybe you can get nominated for Canada's worst driver and get some free driving lessons :drinkup:

Seriously thou backing up with mirrors is just practice and more practice oh did I mention practice :laugh:

After so many years of using my mirrors I rarely look out the back window.

When in doubt get out and look G.O.A.L

I have had to back into places where you have 2-3 inches to spare or places if you get too close to the edge of the road it drops off and you and the truck go for a wild ride.

Watch both sides of the vehical and also keep a eye where your front end is too.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh ya, everybody gonna give you a bunch tips, use mirrors, practice and so on. If your in a dump backing into a blind and tight area you should be using a spotter. If your alone and your backing into a blind area where your mirrors are useless you get out of the truck and look at what is behind you, do a lot of backing alone then get a 3rd. mirror for the back of the truck.

5. 81Bronk36

81Bronk36 LawnSite Member

All I know is I see people get really frustrated when they jackknife and pull way out to past where they were before. If you screw up pull forward enough to get your hitch/tougue straight, thats all you need to do. Also you can aim the truck in the way you want the back end to do at the same time if you are that messed up (turning)

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a trailer just don't over turn the steering wheel. Shorter the trailer less you turn the wheel. A truck with a mason dump or a cube van pulling a trailer can be tough because you can't see it behind you.

7. Shane472

Shane472 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I got to practice a fair bit today just moving the trucks around the yard and doing garbage runs. I think I'm just going to be patient with it and keep practicing. I know a couple old timers who can back a truck and trailer in just about anywhere they want it; would love to get that good one day haha

8. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

as always check the mirror's .i usually keep my hand at the bottom of the wheel ,the shorter the trailer the quicker it turns ,if you want the trailer to go left turn the wheel right ,and vise Visa .and go slow till you are more comfortable .practice practice . :usflag:

9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Round spot mirrors that mount under the standard rectangular, worth their weight in gold!

10. lyube

lyube LawnSite Fanatic

Seriously, who would EVER put a basket ball goal post in the street where a box truck would hit it?