Tips for edging with a weed whip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wannabemowing, Apr 28, 2008.

1. wannabemowing

wannabemowing LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if people could share a few tips on the best way to edge with a weed whip. It's something that I seem to struggle with occasionally especially just getting back to work when school gets out (which happens in two weeks) so I am just trying to prepare myself to do a good job right from the get go with this. Thanks in advance!!

2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

PRATICE!!!!! Keep the string trimmer at a moderate engine speed. Not to fast and not to slow. Also try to keep the head at a level that just lets the end of the string touch the ground. You don't want to dig trenches. Also, use a good quality trim line, not the crap they sell at the big homeowner box stores. Hope this helps.

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Hold the trimmer so it throws stuff forward instead of at you.

4. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you are trying to edge, hold the trimmer level then turn it 1/2 turn counter clockwise so the string is spinning vertical, up and down. Then walk backwards slowly so the string cuts an edge. It takes some practice.

5. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

lol ur just like i was at one time. like the other said just let the string barely edge it, not dig a trench. also if ur engine speed isnt high enough the string will get "sucked into" the grass and make it look like garbage. also be sure to get a good grip on the trimmer shaft. if your arm isnt rigid enough, it will basically do what it wants to. other than that crap, just do it for a few hours a day and youll get right back into the swing of things

6. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

1. Wear safety glasses. There are so many morons in this business that operate string trimmers without protecting their eyes. What is more precious than eyesight?

2. The engine is loud. Protect your hearing. It is so dumb to operate lawn equipment without protecting your hearing, yet I see so many guys doing this. You need to protect your hearing to avoid:

a). hearing loss, which sneaks up on you and is permanent;
    b). tinnitus, which can plunge your life into misery with non-stop ringing in the ears - forever;
    c). or both.

3. Wear gloves. You won't get fatigued as quickly, plus you give yourself a little protection from nerve damage with gloves.

4. If the string trimmer vibrates noticeably, either get it fixed or buy a new one. Because guys do get nerve damage from operating string trimmers that vibrate. I've seen it... uncontrolled Parkinsons-like shaking of the hand.

5. It takes practice to get good at it. I go full power and walk backwards, digging in slightly. It produces the cleanest edge.

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

practice makes perfect!!!

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is a landscaping tool you crack at the weeds.
    I reckon you must be one of those strange fellows using a string or line trimmer.

10. wannabemowing

wannabemowing LawnSite Member

lol yeah I ment a string trimmer sorry it is sometimes referred to as a weed whip around here. We don't edge with a "true" edger every week instead we just do it at the beginning of the season and then "maintain" it with the line trimmer and then occasionally do it with the edger during the summer. So I figured if I could get good at doing it with the string trimmer it would keep things lookin nicer longer and maybe even impress the boss:)