1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

tips for firewood bussiness

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by Shadowrider, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Shadowrider

Shadowrider LawnSite Member

Any tips for getting into the firewood bussiness?

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Unless there is a big market in your area,try restaurants we have done good with these.

3. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

use a chainsaw

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

ROFLMAO ........... Great advise

5. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Thats funny

6. The landscaper

I don't know from experience but I hear its a lot of work for not a lot of pay off. It seems like you use so much effort and machines and time, you really can't make a ton on it. I could be wrong. Obviously some people do it and have to make some money if they keep doing it. In my area, every other house has a sign out with firewood for sale.

I will be interested to see how people do it on here though, because I have an endless amount of woods to work with.

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I sell firewood during the fall and winter. I own a wood splitter. You should invest in one of these and possibly a conveyor belt to load the wood easily.. i plan on making one myself next year.

8. The landscaper

What kind of conveyor belt are you talking about? Like the ones used on farm for straw and hay?

I am suprised more people haven't jumped on this thread. I would have thought a lot of people on here sold fireword in the winter months.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

They do, just embarressed to admit it :waving:

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I did it eons ago with a buddy of mine.

We used to load up a mason dump with sides and take it into NYC on a saturday morning. You would sell it by the bundle (5-10 pieces each). A cord of wood this way would get you about $450 or so and that was back in the early and mid 80's.

Two problems though. One, you needed to have an extra person riding shotgun with you to watch as you went into the apt. buildings to deliver. If not, you could come out and find people helping themselves to whatever they could carry away (this I found out the first time I went in alone). And two, there was always the doorman who had his hand out so you could use the freight elevator to make your deliveries.

Oh yea, a chainsaw does speed up your operation:)