1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tips for mowing wet grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coach, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Coach

Coach LawnSite Member

I need some help, had a couple days of rain this week and need to get some mowin' done. Does anyone have any suggestion for mowing wet grass? How wet is too wet? :dizzy:
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I mowed pretty wet last week with a 36", gators over normal lifts. It chops stuff up good, and worst case I discharge into 1 row and use the 21" to pick it up. I have heard normal or low lifts are best in wet grass, but have not tried them. It is a mess at the end of the day, and dont disengage the blades on the side walk or you will make a mess.
    Another option is the Meg Mo's. Too expensive for me now, some swear by them and others hate them in the wet turf by the posts on this board.
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know what kind of grass you have and what the growth rate is this time of year, but I mow IN THE RAIN if I need to unless I start rutting or black streaking the yard.

It will only be worse next week cutting off double the growth. For me worst case is I use the blower to disperse and give the client a quick call or leave a note and explain about the rain and that next week weather permitting it will look spectacular again.

Most times the client says, I didn't even notice until you said something. Thanks.

Now they know you take your job seriously.