Tips for protecting your equipment from theft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coalburner, Oct 2, 2003.

1. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

I have seen several post about equipment being stolen and I was wondering what tips and tricks members have to prevent this from happening?
  2. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

real good insurance
  3. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I recently did some work for a major mobile home manufacturer and they had a final install technician’s F250 and 16’ enclosed trailer stolen near Phoenix, AZ. The trailer contained every possible tool a guy would need to finalize a mobile home installation. Generator, table saw, air compressor, nails guns, paint sprayers etc. A large pile of money in tools!

The vehicle had a GPS tracking system installed and they told the police that the vehicle had been stolen at 2:33 AM on a Sunday morning and was driven 1.7 miles to a certain street address where it remained for 1 hour 15 minutes. After that it was driven 1.4 miles and abandoned.

After notifying the police of the vehicle travel direction and current location, the police recovered the vehicle and trailer. Upon arriving at the address where the vehicle had been parked for 1:15 hours, the house occupants were just placing a “Garage Sale” sign in the front yard.

The police recovered all of the stolen tools and in addition arrested six thieves and closed another 17 cases of vehicle theft because of what they found in the house.

Gotta love that GPS/Cellular technology!

Do a web search for “Vehicle Tracking” and there are all sorts of pricing options. With todays crack heads it shouldn’t be too difficult to hide a “tracking” unit on your truck/trailer.

BTW the GPS tracking unit was hidden on top of the dashboard of the F250.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

have them on a property that is watch with dogs and people over night. Also make sure they are locked up even inside the storage area. We also lock up our trailers when we are out for the day and when we park them at night. We also turn our trailers around for its more of a hassle to someone that might want to steal them.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Lojack offers this service.
  6. RidgeCon

RidgeCon LawnSite Member

all our stuff is inside at night in a alarmed warehouse
  7. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i put all my stuff in my garage it becomes a hassle to unload and load everything constantly but its not worth the risk i also lock and strap everything down on the job site
  8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I put a sign in big flourecent yellow lettering next to my trailer that says, "If you are close enough to read this, turn to the left to meet me and my rifle." Not really, but hey, it's worth a laugh, well to me anyway. I lock everything up at night. Even the 2-cycle gas cans. I have had some little things stolen before, but never anything big. I did actually catch a thief one time though. I was out until 3:00 AM at a party one night and when I pulled down my street there he was latching on to a gas can and a trimmer he had busted the lock off of. I turned off my lights hit the gas, flew into the driveway right in front of him honked my horn to startle him turned on my lights to blind him and told him to drop it. I already had the police on the phone telling them what he was wearing and what he looked like before he could bolt out of there. They caught him three blocks away with the busted locks in his pockets!!!
  9. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely have to lock everything up, and keep anything that may seem easy to steal out of sight.
    I like the idea of the shotgun sign, but I would rather just wire up 230 volts right up to the door handles. I just love watching those bug zappers at night:D :D :D
  10. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have trimmer trap systems on all my trimmers, edgers, blowers and mowers. If that doesn't work my dog will eat them while they try to get the locks off them .