Tips for removing Ligustrums

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PCLL, Oct 16, 2004.

1. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have 4 that are fully mature to remove and I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on removing them w/out breaking my back or the bumper from my truck. So far I've been advised it's okay to use a rope and the truck to keep tension at the same time digging around the root base until the roots are exposed. Is this what you would do?

The other option I considered was renting a mini-ex and digging them out, but I dont have room to work with and I dont want to leave ruts on the existing turf.

2. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

If they are that big then cut them down and grind the stumps. Just did the same with 8 mature photinia. Using a truck and rope is asking for someone to get hurt. I know a few on this site will tell me I'm wrong and say they've pulled a mighty sycamore with just a rope and a truck, but just do it right.

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Those roots are rough to get out by hand,I would go along with polecat on this one.

4. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Let me clarify, they aren't 25ft tall, more like 6-8ft. still, will I need a stump grinder?

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

PCLL

This is how I did it. Might not be for everyone.

When I first got into landscape I had the same problem. But I had an Engine lift like mechanics use (2 tons of lift costing around $ 200). By wrapping a chain around the plant and lifting, while at the same time using an axe to chop the roots I got them out.

Today I have that same engine lift welded to the front of an old Jacobson Triplex Mower and drive it right up to any plant even in a gated back yard. I how hit the lift petal for the former reel mowers instead of pumping. I have gone to steel chokers instead of chains as well as nylon slings on those I wish to save. I now have a Dyno Digger power shovel to cut roots with but still must use an axe on occasion.

We call this abortion, big Jake and it has come in very handy. It doesn't leave tracks in the yard like my skid loader does. In between finding a used triplex I put large wheels on the lift but still found it hard to move around, but worth the effort.

Of course Dingos and other small landscape equipment like the dingo are designed to do more than just pull plants and maybe can be rented for the day in your area.

6. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

Do not use rope, unless it's natural fiber. Nylon rope can act in the same manner as a rubber band, imagine that stump flying at the back of your truck like it was shot outta a cannon. Using chains to put a little tension on the stump and then cut the roots from the back and underneath works pretty well for me. I use this method if I only have a couple to do, otherwise I just use my 750 w/backhoe.

Good luck,
    Active

7. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

A stump grinder is the eaisest way and the cleanest way.

I do think Ris's idea :the engine lift sounds good.

8. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

If you're goingto cut them out, use a sawsall. Blades are cheap, works great, and it won't kick back and cut a leg off.