Tips for replanting trees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cajunboy, Jan 28, 2005.

1. cajunboy

cajunboy LawnSite Member

Have a customer who is having a below ground pool put in and needs 3-10' tall crepe mrytles dug up and replanted in her yard.They only need to be moved about 10feet away. House and landscape is only about a year old so they haven't been in the ground a long time. Will be digging up by hand. About how far around should I dig and how deep. Ground is pretty soft. Thanks for any help.
  2. rraider

rraider LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

12 to 14" per inch of trunk diameter. If it's a 2" trunk dig a 24" ball...
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

rraider seems right on. If you start hitting any roots of any substantial size, move out a little more. Try to take as much of the root system as possible. Make sure the new holes you dig are plenty large enough for the size of the ball.
  4. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

as said, dig out one foot for every inch of trunk. when I plant something I always fill the bottom of the whole half way up with water before I put the tree in. I then water it in from the top. I have yet to have a tree die using this method.

also, make sure that you do not plant the trunk below it's previous grade. I had a friend who had a whole bunch of trees die because he buried the trunk too far under the soil and the wood rotted out.