tips for sending a new but experienced employee out solo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Apr 12, 2006.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of things should I look out for or make sure to do if I am having a new but experienced employee go and cut solo. I have 5 weeks of school left about an hour away. I lost my foreman last year, he became a state trooper so I hired an experienced worker to take care of my accounts till I get out of school. Paying $16 an hour. I will be around on weekend and one day a week. I have 48 accounts and all can be taken care of in a week solo. I have been mowing most of them for 3 or 4 years so I know how long they take. I will be having him use a punch time card. What things should I look out for, or do to make sure he is not slackin, or napping on the job, or doing a shabby cut job. Any other advice or suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Make some follow-up calls to your customers once work has started is prob the best bet...quiet and indiscreet.

3. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I just hired an experienced guy to cut my accounts this year....I went from 6 accounts last year to 47 and counting so far w/ just a little advertising. He's good...but he doesn't cut as fast as I did....I guess cause the faster I was the more I made by the hour and he gets $11 no matter how fast he goes. I took off work today and worked 8 hours w/ him so I know he works....he worked Mon. and Tues. only 5 hours each day and I thought he was a little slow...but he does do a good job so I'll keep him.

V/r
    Gary

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

11 an hour? Peanuts IMO

5. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

That's why I've kept my day job. :) But I'm just starting and it's going good...Justmowit style so I can't complain. He's young and making some money and I'm old and making money for sitting around and taking phone messages when I get home that someone else needs their lawn mowed.

6. MJM

MJM LawnSite Member

Tell him he has xx amount of hours to complete the route. If he finishes under those xx hrs, still pay him for xx hrs. Call backs he goes and corrects, if it continues he has no job. Otherwise, you both make out.

Mark

7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

That's about 14.30/hr with taxes not to mention overhead.

I personally wish I could pay more but for just grass it wont pay.

kc

8. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

how do you know he really knows what hes doing?? i never hired a guy who said he didn't have experience before. if i sent half the people out on their own that i have hired in the past i would be in big trouble!! one thing i have learned is that everyone thinks they can be a landscaper..lol.." o yeah I've done that before".." yeah i know how".. "sure i can".. "i used to do that all the time".. lol