Tips for staying cool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, May 9, 2007.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Well, it's really starting to warm up. I bet it's gonna be a hot one. (it always is) Anyway, I just learned about a great way to keep cool and I had to let you guys know about it because it works so well. I thought I would share and then everyone else can add their tips on how they stay cool.
    So far this is one of the most effective ways to keep cool I have found. It's simple, if you're wearing a t-shirt, just wet your shirt sleeves well with cool water. The effect is almost instantaneous and lasts about an hour! Then you just re-wet your sleeves. It sounds kinda silly, but it was close to the mid 80's yesterday and usually if it's over 80 I really pour sweat. Each time I have done this I have barely broken a sweat, and sometimes you will even get a little chill! It's great! Try it!
    So how do you keep cool?

2. Lawn_Boy

Lawn_Boy LawnSite Member

Wear a hat, rinse off after every yard or so, wet towel on neck, drink lots of fluids (obviously), etc.

3. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I'm starting to wear a hooded sweat-shirt all day long. You can learn alot from hispanic friends. They know how to keep cool.

4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Man, I always see those mexicans wearing long sleeves and hoods, etc. I always thought they were crazy. No thanks! I'll stick with water on the sleeves!

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i agree after all how hot can it get in idahoe?. here is my heat tip. do not wear t shirts-instead wear light colored loose fit mens dress shirts. ob dont go out and buy new ones for this but plenty to be had at flea mrk and yrd sales thrift shop etc. you will be amazed how huch cooler they are than a tight fitting t shirt.

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

It's still kinda chilly this time of year .... can't be more than 86 out right now .... heck last Friday it was only 88 buy mid noon ... thank god it's only April ...but atleast 10 degrees under "normal"

7. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok this Is what I do...almost the same as above...with the water.
    bring a cooler of water with you with ice in it...for drinking plus......Take a clean White rag...I,e Dish towel...run the water over the rag till soaked...then drape that across your head...and then your ball cap on top...let the rag drape down the back of your neck.

There are uv protective shirts out now...I bought 6 last year and a'm wearing one rite now.
    Cheers
    Daner

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey danner where can I find some info about those UV protective shirts? Where did you buy them?

Cheers
    Jeff

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Think that will work in Texas at 100F:confused:

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i always stay cooler without my hat on...they say most of the heat will escape through your head