Tips for the 2007 season

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by StBalor, Jan 4, 2007.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I thought it might be fun for everyone to throw out a few helpful tips for the guy just starting up. Or maybe these tips can help us all.
    Just list a few and give everyone a chance to chime in.

Tip #1 - Always fill up your equipment and cans with gas. If you don't you will surely run out at the most inconvenient time.

Tip #2 - Always carry extra blades. this will save you some time eventually.

Tip #3 - Always carry extra trimmer string and trimmer head. You'll be sorry if you don't.

2. NewLawnServices

NewLawnServices LawnSite Member

Do you know how many yards are mowed per day by the average business? And what the average price per yard would be?

Thanks.

3. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Have Fun Or It Will Seem Like Work!

4. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

When I started I told myself I would do as good of a job as I would like done if it was MY yard!!! Every time I get done, I look back at the job to see if it meets my satisfaction. Many times I've spotted something that I missed. I could have easily have said "They'll never notice", and they probably wouldn't. But in always doing a high quality job...I think it has paid off in customer satisfaction and retention. It for sure has helped my happiness with my work.

5. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Have a set price and stick with it. Jobs may not come in as fast as you think they will and you may feel the need to drop (lowball) the job to get some work. You may think you are doing the right thing to get some business but in the end you may be working for free

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Save a LOT of winter money FIRST.

7. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Use Fluid Film for all your corrosion and lubrication needs!

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Lock you gas cans up. We had ours lifted out of the parking lot at one of our job sites.

I mean equipment is a given. I told the guys, lock it you lose it you buy it.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

That would depend on you equipment, how close the jobs are to each other and how many in a crew. :hammerhead:

10. vaughnslawns

vaughnslawns LawnSite Senior Member

wear protection eye,ear,skin;)