Tips for the perfectly seed lawn?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Aug 21, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

When seeding bare dirt does anyone have any good tips for seeding to come out perfect? I have tried this before, but results have always been less than perfect.

Here is what I do when seeding fescue.

Use a harley rake to smooth out lawn and create seed bed.

Seed at the rate recommended by the manufacturer for a new lawn and rake in.

Use a starter fertilizer

Set sprinkler system and go.

I have used Kansas Premium Blend Grass Seed, Rebel and Lesco's Transition Blend.

Any suggestions?

Should I be seeding at a heavy rate? Should I be using a machine to put the seed into the ground? Why do most lawns look better than mine?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Harley rake does not loosen the soil deep enough for for a perfect germination unless your working with 6" of topsoil. We rip the soil loose to a depth of 6" then run a pulverizer followed by a Harley rake or a hound.

3. drsogr

What are you using to rip the soil down 6" with?

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I beam with RR spikes welded on :)

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You wont find that at the rental store.

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I did about the same thing. I built a "sulky", triangle-shaped, out of metal. It had the 10" spikes welded underneath. Hook it to the w/b and go riding around for awhile. Then rake it all thru and seed and fertilize and water. Works like a charm.

7. drsogr

No wonder my seed hasn't been getting perfect results, I haven't been using a homemade contraption to get down deep enough! Very interesting guys. Any other suggestions like, best watering times, or best seed around the midwest.

BTW I value your guys suggestions, but going down 6- 10" seams a little crazy to me as the roots of most seed don't even extend down that deep, and by the time they did grow that deep, wouldn't the ground be compacted again from all of the watering? Most Fescue roots don't extend more than 3" down from what I typically see.

8. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i don't understand the raking in, how do you keep the uniform seed placement when you start raking it all around? i think that would hurt you results some

9. mathproshs

mathproshs LawnSite Member

My method works well.

1. Heavily dethatch the area that you want to seed. This will leave grooves and work the soil up quite a bit. Do not compact once you do this.

2. Reseed according to bags instructions for amounts needed. I usually make sure that there is a heavy placement of grass seed placed. Don't want it to thick but not to thin either. I usually use a drop spreader and try to get the seed down so that seeds fall less than 1/4 of an inch from the other seeds. DO NOT RAKE. Place starter if you want on top of this. I usually wait until the grass starts to grow as I try not to comapct the soil and seed.

3. Place about an inch of soil on top of this. You can just throw it on and cover the seeds. Water heavily for the next few days. Better results can be had by placing a seed blanket on top of this.

Good luck

10. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Beefco slit seeder