Tips from the field

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jul 14, 2009.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

How about a thread where we can give a few basic tips, without straying off topic? Tips that help each other out in making a repair or install easier. Or preventing a future break or repair down the road. No problem discussing different opinions, but lets keep the beer, cooking, whining, etc. out of it.
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Tip #1 - I had one technician do the same repair on two different homes last Friday. The transition from copper to PVC is typically male copper fitting to female PVC. Both female PVC fittings cracked. I prefer to use a PVC coupler, with a bushing to female threads. This gives it a thicker wall where the copper threads in.

For some of you newbies, most, if not all, copper male threads are tapered. So it gets wider farther down into the threads.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry, but your request cannot be processed at this time. Please try again later.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

sigh........... I tried.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Ever wonder how much money got saved by the installer not using a sweat x FPT adapter, instead of the other way around?
  6. aric43085

aric43085 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Tip #2: Any time you screw a metal into a plastic your asking for trouble.

Why would you go from copper to CPVC in the first place?:hammerhead::dizzy::hammerhead:
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer the other way around. Male copper to female PVC. At least for our typical residentials, and if done correctly. The interior diameter of a PVC male adapter tends to be much smaller than the interior of the copper male adapter. For ours here, I am generally speaking of 3/4" copper, to 1" PVC. A lot here go from 3/4" copper male adapter, to a 3/4"x1" FxS PVC adapter. I would prefer a 1" coupler with a bushing glued in.
  8. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Oh man!! that distracted me BIG TIME, That looks GOoooddd:)
  9. esnipe8

esnipe8 LawnSite Senior Member

When laying new sod rolls, paint out your line with water based marking paint, then use an edger to cut the line. This will give you a crisp clean cut!
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We don't use CPVC in the first place. Straight PVC.
    PVC coming out of the backflow preventer is tacky when above ground. And at 7000' elevation the UV rays deteriorate it. I try to go copper to ground level, and transition to PVC.