Tips from the field

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jul 14, 2009.

1. aric43085

aric43085 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Simple solution, Use a copper 3/4" female with a PVC 3/4"male X 1"slip.:cool2:
  2. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

1, always use a female copper adapter to go to PVC.

2, I don't really care about painting sod rolls, but since we're on topic, if your irrigation contractor is installing lawn heads in dirt, based upon your paint lines, don't lay an extra 2' of sod behind the head... then we have to drill holes in the back of the turret to water the grass behind the head. or move it.
  3. esnipe8

esnipe8 LawnSite Senior Member

Last time I check sod rolls come out in rectangular shape, so if you have a curve in your sod line, you have to cut it.
    Thats what I was talking about.
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

But what I mentioned, was that the interior of a PVC male adapter is smaller then the copper. It bottlenecks it slightly more.

I will try and take pictures and measurements tomorrow to describe better.
  5. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

that's fine. what i was talking about was idiot landscapers over-ordering sod, then extending the lawn behind the installed heads.

and it was a quiet knock on you offering landscaping advice in the irrigation forum.
  6. aric43085

aric43085 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I know what your talking about. I used to install them like that for about five years. If you use a copper 3/4"slip X 1"female to a 1"PVC male then there is definitely no restriction. Still the interior wall of the 3/4" PVC male X 1" slip fitting is about the same opening of a 3/4" backflow valve.
  7. esnipe8

esnipe8 LawnSite Senior Member

HaHa, Im sorry I want to make sure I can still be a part of the "irrigation forum" club :laugh:

You win :clapping:
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Care to do some measurements on this? You might be surprised. If you really want to do the transition correctly, you'd go from a 3/4 CxFPT fitting to a 3/4-inch sch 80 TOE nipple, and then to the valve manifold.
  9. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

For those who install, this might seem counter-intuitive but I have had good results putting nozzles on the heads before installing them, on an install. You only have to be somewhat careful piping and it goes without saying that you have to install the filters. This saves lots of time having to go back and flush and nozzle. Worst case, last couple of heads are plugged up. With a remote, this is not a problem. I use RainBird 1804 exclusively. Try it you might be surprised.
  10. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

We pre-assemble the sprays with funny 90's, nozzles, and screens, then start flushing. Install heads from valve out to end of line. With no funny 90or head on we get a great flush, no "last couple of heads plugged up". Same goes for rotors.