Tips? (gratuity)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by greenpepper, Mar 28, 2008.

1. greenpepper

greenpepper LawnSite Member

How many of you Lawn care guys have received tips for a job well done? I'm new to the green industry as this is my second year. I had two of my three clients tip me last year. Is this pretty typical for this industry?

Thanks for any replys in advance!

Brett

2. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I said this before in another post, the $10 or $20 you slip the crew goes a long way in the attention you get from them for the next several visits. Tipping is not typical.

3. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

I have only received a few tips as well. Christmas time We had a few customers give a little extra cash which was split between myself and my fulltime employee.

4. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a couple of clients that tip on a regular basis. One evens goes so far, as giving $20 gift cards, plus cash. Another gives a couple of dollars every month to buy the crew some drinks.

5. greenpepper

greenpepper LawnSite Member

Interesting replys....I hope it's a direct reflection of my hard work and attention to detail. Maybe this will separate me from the other competition...

I still need to update my profile to show off my equip...I'll try for this weekend.

Thanks to all who help on this site it has been very educational.

6. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

Not really sure if you are insinuating that due to the lack of tips received that myself or others that have replied to your thread, don't work hard or pay attention to detail. What will seperate you from the competiton?

7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

yea, I always turn down tips. uh huh.

8. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

possibly...
    or~
    you just have some really 'cool' customers.

9. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I must not have very 'cool' customers then, unless you count two tips in seven years as 'cool' lol. :)

10. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I have received quite a few tips. :drinkup: