Tips/hints for saving money...and time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Sep 11, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Every once in awhile, someone starts a thread to share ideas to help us be more efficient and lower our costs. I'm always looking for ways to help the bottom line as we all know we work in a business that is extremely competitive. Lets post some more ideas as I'm sure we can all learn a thing or two:

1. Trash bags... yesterday I stumbled onto some strong, very inexpensive trash bags. Ruffies has a clear bag, only .5 mil but amazingly strong. 170 of them only cost me 12.00. Got them at Lowes...most of the bags we were using for cleanups were about 13 cents per bag..these are 7 cents. Try'll like em.
    2. Use email for paper, no stamps. Some customers still want a paper bill ...but we were able to put 1/2 our accounts on email billing. Also saves on those expensive printer cartridges.
    3. Keep a detailed work log in the truck and use it faithfully every day...keep times on every maint or landscape job every day...also note all materials used. At end of year, roll up the production times and evaluate where you are losing money. Also makes monthly billing sooo much easier.

Thats enough for the first post...will add on as I think of more. Lets hear some more ideas.
  2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is my advise, first off buy zero-turn mowers. Also remember You Get What You Pay For, if you buy cheap supplies, there going to be cheaply made....
  3. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Buying office supplies in bulk can save you lots of money. PriceClub or SamsClub are great stores!
  4. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Pack a lunch.

This saves roughly $30.00 a week

$120 a month

$1440 a year!!
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

That's true about the lunch.

Also for cold drinks. Take an empty 2 liter soda bottle fill it 3/4 with water put in freezer, that will last a good part of the day.
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Sharpen a whole stack of blades while you have the tools set up.

When mowing, or trimming, start and finish at the same spot every time.

Make your mower dealer give you a new hat every year.

Buy beer by the case, not the six-pack.

7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Check the tire pressure, air filter, fuel filter and oil on truck. You can cut fuel consumption considerably.
  8. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

Wear one pair of underware all week, less laundry.
  9. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Igloo coolers, don't go without them. Fill them up with water at your house, get ice at a store for a buck. Put in some form of drink mix for flavor. You can get Gatorade, Iced Tea, etc powders in bulk for a good price.
  10. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Keep up on truck maintenance and license's ..... hold'ups and fines by the DOT add up BIG time, its much cheaper in the long run to take care of things immediately.. Also, unforeseen savings in safety issues.