tips on 36 toro w/floating deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie13, Feb 16, 2003.

1. lonnie13

lonnie13 LawnSite Member

Just got my proline 36 floating deck w/15hp kohler. Haven't had a chance to mow yet. Anyone have any tips or things to look out for. Oh yea, It has pistol grips and a bag kit.
  2. Great mower and good choice. Those things are built like a tank. I like the T-Bar, but you'll love your mower. One downside, I've found it surprisingly easy to scalp with those, but its predicitable and thereby avoidable. For instance, turn the blades off before you go on or off a driveway. Seems like its worse going up and onto the grass than off.
  3. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

A really good mower. Fits thur most gates. I have one with Tbar , velke and a soft bagger.We installed a electric start on it. With the 15 hp Kohler you can pull a 200 plus man on a velke and fly around.
    My only problem (early on) we found was the bottom belt was split so we could not move fast; when we finally found the problem we fixed it .Since the repair the mower flies.
  4. longjohn

longjohn LawnSite Member

Congratulations, great choice. I have a 44" Proline, 15hp Kohler with floating deck and velke. As Bluesteel mentioned it's easy to scalp but if you watch for high spots and pay attenion to the settings on the anti-scalp wheels on the deck you should'nt have problems. My only complaints are that it does'nt fit through all gates (I plan to purchase a 36" soon), and changing oil can get messy due to the drain position.
    All in all as I said I plan to buy a Toro 36" and two 21" prolines to replace the Toro personal pace I started with last year.
  5. Oh yeah, oil changes are a mess! I change oil so much, that I ended up doing some plumbing. Installed a 90 elbow out of the mower, then a gate-valve, and extensions where needed to get the drain-spout where I could attach some tubing. If you install a gate-valve, be sure to USE A CAP or PLUG! That way if you hit a branch or something opens the valve, it won't drain your oil, hehe.
  6. longjohn

longjohn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. There is a pipe in the drain but it does not extend past the tire. This is one of those things I don't think about until I do maintenance then I'm in a hurry. I think I'll take care of that today. I've used the 44 to do allot of leaf cleanup's and it defiantly needs an oil change.
    Thanks for the tips.
  7. whut i'm talk'n 'bout

8. longjohn

longjohn LawnSite Member

9. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

I am in the southwest Fort Worth area. I am purchasing a 36" toro t-bar floating deck right now. You said that you do leaf cleanups with your 44". Does it do a good job of sucking up the leaves? Would you recommend a steel bagger or a cloth bagger? Do you have a mulch kit for your 44"? Thanks for any information you can give and Good Luck! -RX7
  10. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

nice work Bluesteel