Tips on a business name?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Apr 28, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking to get a business licence so I can write off new equipment on taxes. When getting one, they require a name.
    I think adding my own name just doesnt go right, it doesnt sound as professional as I would like (Stevens Lawn Care..........)

What are some things to keep in mind when coming up with a name? What are the dos and donts? What tends to grab peoples attention?

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Funny u should ask.... My Company Name has nothing to do with my name and I get the Question all the time "WHY that name"
    Seems People are used to something like "Stevens lawn care" At least in my area

3. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

When it comes to names that is by far one of the most important things you can do. You are right "Joes lawn care" names are just too hard to brand when you have, joe's, jeff's, jerry's, fred's, bob's, and fred's lawn care all in the same town, who the heck can remember who is who. Give yourself a unique name that people can remember that draws attention and that is free advertizing. You don't go to Walton's Department store and spend your money you go to Wal-Mart, clever and it still even references his name. Another benifit to choosing a business name that doesn't include a reference to your name is if you ever go and try to sell. If your name is "Joe's lawn care" and the guy that wants to buy your biz's name is Steve it has reduced value compaired to say "Louisiana Property Maintainance" Try to pick something that stands out and people will remember. It is tough, I have been using Quality Lawn Care since I started, I wanted to go with Total Lawn Care and brand it at TLC.

my .02

4. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I went with my last name....for personal reasons....I have kids and eventualy it will be "and Sons". I also wanted to stay away from the old Green whatever or fill in the blank... cuts etc.

5. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My name is Stephen too and i went through the same thing this year when trying to decide on a name. Everything i could come up with that sounded good to me seemed to already be taken. Stephens Lawn Care just didn't stand out or sound too proffesional to me, so i went with my last name. Welsh Lawn Care. Much more unique and just seems to "work" imo. There is also a possibility of family getting involved down the road for me as well, so leaving that option open was a bonus.