tips on aerators!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iclgs, Feb 19, 2003.

1. iclgs

iclgs LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

Looking at aerators. Got any suggestions. ??
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Plug'r is a nice unit...suggest you ask 65hoss about aerators. He does a boatload of aerating each year.
  3. rodfather

Forgot...are you talking walk behind or towable models?
  4. iclgs

iclgs LawnSite Member

not really sure...which ever is better?? Am a little cash strapped to soo...??? But have had many clients ask!
  5. rodfather

Walk behinds probably do a better job and can get in places a tow behind can't.
  6. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We've got a Ryan LawnaireV. Can't complain about it. If you run Walkers...Walker just came out with an aerator attatchment which looks really decent. If your strapped for cash stop by a few local rental may be able to pick up one of there units for pretty short $$.

7. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,089 that i think about it...theres been alot of talk in the past about "split-drive" aerators. They can be turned without having to lift the whole unit off the ground, or something like that. I forget the exact details but do a search and you'll find plenty of info on those.
  8. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Plugr Pl800

I just bought a Plugr Pl800 a few weeks ago and have only been practicing with it in my yard a nd couple fmaily members -- but I love it. I can't wait until I start on all of the aerations I have lined up. It is a great machine compared to any of the other split drive or simple drum types -- in my opinion. I have used a Classen Split drive quite a bit and I liked it --- but it does not compare to the Plugr's cam action coring.

Check their website out at

The Pl800 is not on the website yet -- but is essentially the same as Pl600 except two more cams have been added which makes the holes closer together. You'll never do a double pass again!!!!

A new Pl800 is around $2500 and PL600 is aoround $2300.

Let me know if you have other questions.
  9. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a Honda powered Plugr for 2 years and it works great
    May need to replace belts and tines once per year depending on the amount of use. I have been very pleased thus far. I use a 48" tow turf vent for larger properties. Ensure you get one that has a split shaft with independent grease fittings so you won't rip turf on tight turnes.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The rental idea is the best if you are strapped for cash but you will bust your nutz over the course of a day with some of the rental units. They usually are Bluebirds or Ryan LA IV's. They will work but so will you. If this is gonna be a moneymaking venture then look into the Classen or the Plug'r better yet look into a 3 Pt hitch mounted for the big jobs. I have a 3 pt classen that I love. Makes good money and it sure is nice to not have to walk all day.