1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tips on Buying a Used Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by crazyson2001, May 5, 2013.

1. crazyson2001

crazyson2001 LawnSite Member

I don't have a lot of property (only about 1/3 of an acre to mow) but cutting it with my 21" just takes longer than I like. Plus the 21" Toro I have now is low on power and has a tough time dealing with my thick grass.

I'm looking to buy a used commercial walk behind. Seems like it will cut the amount of time I spend cutting but also have the power to cut through the thick grass.

Two questions:
    1. What are the telltale signs that a mower has been well taken care of or one that has been abused? Want to make sure I get a decent one.
    2. Is the hydro drive worth the premium?

Thank you.
    Eric

2. ommegang

ommegang LawnSite Member

I have purchased tthree WB mowers: an exmark, a bobcat and a toro grandstand. Ther first two were belt. Belt is cumbersome in tight areas, much more suited for open spaces. IMO, hydro is def worth the extra. I just seen a 30" exmark that weighs 160 lbs for $1750. )% for 4 years. That's what I would look at for your situation Because even a 36" wb, the wheels are like 2 or 3 feet ahead of the mower deck thus limiting grass cut in tight spaces. However, I just seen a newer 36" Scag hydro for $3200 on craigslist. I was thinking about that exmark for my smaller city lots. I do them all with my 52" Vride now wich aint bad