tips on buying equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Ranger, Jan 19, 2006.

1. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Price, Price, Price, seems to be what many worry about. Think about this.....all companies offer good equipment whether it be Exmark, Scag, Toro, Gravely, Hustler and the list goes on. Base your decision on your dealer support and proximity to your location, not on price. At 50 per hr. 2 guys getting side tracked going to a dealer across town because that is where you saved 100 bucks on the new Z mower. The money you saved will be eaten up in wasted time going to a from a dealer out of the way. Consider this; is the dealer willing to give you a loaner mower if yours can't be fixed right away? Does he move commercial repair work to the front of the pack? When buying multiple pieces of equipment, buy the same brand, whether it be blowers, mowers, vacs, whatever. Then you will be stocking one group of parts. Just my 2 cents

2. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

Problem is we have no dealers here but JD.

3. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

JD it is then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or open your own shop selling other brands

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Once you shop and buy based on price once or twice and realize you bought a POS that you have to sell for half what you paid for it, you soon realize that price dosn't mean squat.

Yes, all larger commercial mowers look basically the same but they all do things differently. Just because one looks like it would handle like the other dosn't mean it will. One may be hard to drive, unresponsive and won't hold a hill, where the other that looks just like it can do all these things easily. It's so nice to be able to demo machines! But if your area is like mine, there is few dealers that will allow demos on anything other than their "demo unit". Of course their demo is a 60" side discharge and you are wanting to buy a 48" with a catcher, but they think that that 60" is going to sell you the 48"! Not hardly. Our Dixie dealer here would not let me demo a 50" with a catcher, all he had to demo was a 60". I have to be able to bag! He couldn't help me and lost a sale. It may be the best machine since sliced bread but I'm done buying mowers and then hating them and having to sell them cheap!

Yeah, dealer support is great! But that dealer needs to be close to home to be any good. An hour away when you are down in the middle of the week is really NO help at all. If your "dealer" is also the local lumber yard, unless they have wooden parts for you, you need to find a dealer that is an equipment dealer. Iv'e seen ones that are gas stations with NO shop at all selling equipment. Lesco stores (the smaller ones) are the same way. They hardly have a wrench set in the place and those are just meant for setting up new stuff.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Like I always said, your dealer is your silent partner.

7. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Ok guys I have to agree with you on the fact that a local dealer is priceless. I have learned this the hard way with my most recent purchase. I bought a Brand New Red Hawk Hydro from a dealer in Atlanta, GA. I live in Knoxville, TN. Now think about this....It is 3 hours to that dealer. Now granted I saved 1500.00 off the price of the mower and it was brand new. Well now and since is started getting cooler weather I have been having trouble with it not wanting to pull a hill (or even run on level ground for that matter) until it warms up. I found a dealer that will service it for me but guess what they are 1.5 hours away. I called the factory to order a new pulley for it (since I busted it trying to get it off to get the grease fitting out that I broke while greasing it). They told me that they had been made aware of this issue and it is not the Hydro pumps that are going bad they have found a design flaw in the belt that goes from the motor to the pumps and that they are working on the fix for it and that I could call back and they would find the closest dealer to me that will fix this under warranty. Still I am going to have to take a full day to drive it to the shop and then di_k around all day while they fix it and then drive home. I am sure that it will not be until Mowing season is fully underway before they get this "fix kit" done and available. in short (liek this venting has been short) deal with a local, well known dealer, even if you spend a little more money, it will save you a bunch of down time in the future.

8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

2men, I see your point but, put yourself in my boots. What I mean is I have an eXmark metro I would like to upgrade to a TTHP (hydro drive) the dealer I bought my metro off of was the best up to a point when they screwed me over on a PULLEY yes a simple pulley that wound up costing me well over $100.00. My story is way too long to go over and every time I have to repeat it I get even more pissed off. My point being dealer support is great but what if you want to buy the same brand and the dealer you were going to di*ked you over then what? I really like my eXmark and would buy another one right now if I could find a dealer that is not going to #1 screw me over, #2 blow smoke up my @$$, and lastly is not in the middle of no mans land.

Rob