Tips on disolving fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by ArTurf, Sep 22, 2012.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

If you can stand it it's available from Lesco;

Occassionaly Helena Chem will carry it... you have to catch them before they sell out.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Agrium or Wilber Ellis is also good for the non blended raw materials.

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

$32 a bag would be unbelievable. I've got to work on my suppliers. I'm ashamed to tell what I just paid for the 13-0-44 I just bought.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Could not be more than $50, right? When the fertilizer crisis hit a few years ago, 13-0-45 from Israel was around $60 for me. Did that make me cheap out and spray 0-0-60 on my lawns? No.

5. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

What do you use to grind the prills with? I'm going to use hot water next time

6. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

I wish. Just put it this way, my back end will be sore for a while.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

While Potassium Nite is my favorite I will use Potassium Sulfate if the price is right. But I would go with out K rather than use the 0-0-60 Lite salt, water softener.

The point here is to watch your fert blends for higher chlorine contend. any thing over 2 % is a No No in my book.

8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Ric:
    You are SO right. The fungal fighting of the potassium sulfate and IF using ammonium sulfate as a Nitrogen source, far outweigh other fertilize. These will help lower the pH of turf, which most fungi hate. Centipede will die from too much chlorine, another reason for the potassium nitrate rather the Potash derived from Chlorine as is in most common blends. I like 14-0-46 (Potassium Nitrate) and 0-0-21(Ammonium Sulfate) and dissolve both in a 5-gallon bucket of slurry with warm water and also fill the tank with water and about 4 oz of vinegar the night before so it can warm up also.
    Roy

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  9. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Yes, I use potassium sulfate in granular and watch the chlorine content of my ferts. Some of the best advice I've ever gotten on Lawnsite, especially since I deal with a lot of centipede. The funny thing is when I specify these things to my suppliers they think I am full of it or just way out there in my thinking.

10. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

What's the vinegar for?