Tips on Laying Sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Matt Hermann, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Matt Hermann

Matt Hermann LawnSite Member

Hey, I'm 15 and I have a little lawn mowing company. I've been asked by one of my customers to lay sod in this area where he used to have a playground. All the wood chips and the railroad ties are removed. Any tips on applying the sod? I was thinking level the ground down an inch or so, water the ground, apply sod, wate again, then done. Is that right? And how much do I order, should I measure the section where I will be applying it and tell them the square footage? and what is a Pallet? All help is appricated. Thanks, Matt.

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

A pallet is the square wood that the sod comes on, it is designed to be loaded with a forklift. Be sure the area is smooth/level, don't water beforehand unless you like working in mud. Measure the area to determine how much you need. Green side up, and cut the sod so your seams don't line up.

3. Matt Hermann

lbilawncare, what do you mean cut it so your seams dont line up? and should i just spray the durt a bit before i lay it, so its not totally dry or dont even do that?

thanks!

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

5. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

If the seams line up, it won't grow right. So you have to stagger the sod when laying it down, also you might want to consider in renting a skid ster and getting a Harley rake to till up the ground. Also after the sod is layed; WATER WATER and more WATER!!!!! for like 2-3 weeks straight. Oh and right after you lay it down, roll it to get the air pockets out of the sod. And then when you cut it, do it about 3 weeks after you layed it down, use a push mower and bag it on the highest setting.

If you don't mind me asking; how much sod are you laying down? Because you'll need to know how many pallets to order!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

some good advice here from these guys. i may add that it helps to have loosened dirt(dry at time of laying) to put down on. either tilled a little bit and leveled or applyed fresh topsoil to the area first if needed. the roots of the sod need an easy substrate to grow into if it is to be a success. also a starter fert like 18-24 -12 under the sod before laying is a great idea, but if you are not familiar with the application of this dont do it as you may do much damage and kill the sod. staggering the seams is very important as well as tucking the seam edges down so they dont face up if that makes sense. otherwise they will dry out to easy and you will have all the edges of the sod die.

7. Matt Hermann

I'm getting enough sod to cover the size of medium sized playground in the guy's backyard. It's mainly in the shade, are there different types of sod i should look into that would do best growing there?

8. ajslands

The farm that you buy it at is most likely onl going to have one type of sod, more thanikely the type that is native to that area. Now you say your going to have enough, dud you measure and do you know how many rolls come on a pallet?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Matt Hermann

I didn't measure it yet, I'm going to do that sometime this week. Then I will call and ask for enough sod to cover x ft by x ft.

10. ajslands

You have to find the area, then the sod farm will tell you, there's 70 rolls on a pallet, and it's good for 700^2 ft or something like that.
    Posted via Mobile Device