1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tips on starting up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by IanMcP, May 11, 2008.

1. IanMcP

IanMcP LawnSite Member

Hi everyone I have been reading over things on this site for a couple years, but never really posted much. I have been working for a design and build company for 5 years and love landscaping. I would love to startup my own company and have been doing alot of research. I just don`t want to jump into the huge responsibility to soon. I just would like some info on when you guys decided to start up your companies. What you started out doing, how much money is a good idea to have set aside when you startup, those kind of things. If you could tell me the things you wish you did different and learned from. Information would be very much appreciated, I will also search through old threads to see what else I can find.

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Well its going to be tough to start a company when you already work for one. You will need at least 6 -12 months of income. I say that because when you first start all of your profit is dumped back into the company. I would have saved a lot more when I started. I leaped out with just a 1000 in the checking rough start.

iMOW LAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I'm starting out slow. This is my first year. I have a full time job plus 15 mowing accounts. I'm going to keep my full time job through the rest of this year, while collecting equipment. So next year I'll have nice equipment, not all new, but all paid for. And then I'll hit it hard next spring. I plan on mowing full time next year. Just my plan......hope it works. good luck
  4. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would try the search button lol