Tips on stihl 4 mix engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Nov 15, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I wrote to stihl about my 4 mix product and got a call the next day. I learned some valuble information on the 4 mix engine. The guy told me to run only synthetic stihl 2 cycle oil and run it a littler leaner than rich. I've been using echo power blend and was told that's a no no. Maybe some of you on here that have had bad experiences with the 4 mix might have been using bad oil and gas which greatly affect the engine. How have everyone's 4 mix engines been running?

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I run Stihl 4-mix as well and have used the Echo powerblend oil. I've been using it in my units for about a year now. Theres been no issues so far for me.

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

the br600 I had for a short time, was running to what the tech's from stihl told the person at the dealership I bought it from, right rpm's etc. It just did'nt produce enough air out the tube. I did'nt use stihl oil.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So what kind of problems will be prevented by running it lean? Is this a solution for not have an adjustable carb?? And how did he suggest you mix this special blend?

5. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I use the Stihl HP oil and have not had any problems. The 600 does have adjustable carb. I don't understand why they told you to mix it lean.

6. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

I've used Stihl and Husqavarna in my 4-mix Stihl FS 130 trimmer. Both seem to work fine. Starts quick and has good power at high rpm.

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

So......did you expect the Stihl Rep to reccommend any oil other than Stihl?

8. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Carbon build up in the new 4 mix engines have been the major problem according to my dealer. Stihl has come out with a decarbonizing cleaner that you need to use periodically to keep the 4 mix enignes clean. Nice!

9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I use low octane gas ( i know a no no) and echo oil and my stuff runs fine.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I mostly use Amsoil at 80:1 but have been known to use Shindaiwa at 50:1 when I ran out of Amsoil. I've been using it in a BR600 for over a year now with no problems.