1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tips on Trimming?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt Hermann, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Matt Hermann

Matt Hermann LawnSite Member

can you guys give me some tips on trimming? and tips on edging with a trimmer? i see some other professional buisnesses go so low along the edges...why do you guys do that? thanks for the help!
  2. Matt Hermann

anybody have any tips?
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Take the guard off and go to work. A trim guy takes about a month before he gets to the point of edging as fast as he can walk. I prefer walking forward on hard surface if I can. But you have to be able to walk in both directons and both sides.
  4. Matt Hermann

thanks, i took off the guard so i can see more of what i am doing. so far i am a one man show, and mow with a 21" and a trimmer. Planning on getting a better trimmer for under 200 soon, and next season getting a 42" walk behind or whatever size they are. any ideas on how to get good stripes on the 21" mowers?
  5. coxslawncare

coxslawncare LawnSite Member

typically walking backwards is faster for me and helps the line not miss as much. The rotation of the head is not pushing into you but away from you allowing you to kind of lock your arms in place and keep the trimmer more steady if that makes sense. If not try it and you will feel the difference
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

ALWAYS wear safety goggles and hearing protection!
  7. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep the spool head flat - don't tilt it.
  8. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

It you take he guard off and hit your trimmer on th ground a few times you can get the trimmer line out a couple feet and won't have to get as close to buildings and retaining walls and stuff.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I love it!!!!
  10. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Sarcasim? ^ I don't do it but theirs some guys around here that do. I don't wear saftey glasses either, they don't fit around my ear muffs,
    Posted via Mobile Device