1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tips on using the exmark ECS controls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpt87gn, Feb 26, 2010.

1. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

Hi well i finally bought my walkbehind 36" exmark metro with ecs handles . but its kind of hard to control. Im use to using the toro 36" with the t bar controls. Which was much easier .Can you give me some pointers
  2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

The ECS controls can be very sensitive and take a minute to get used to, but when you get used to them they are fantastic.

Only pointers I have is just realize that they are normally pretty sensitive or touchy...
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

That's why I got a Toro T2, I hated the ECS controls...they seemed backwards to me.
  4. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

learn in a big open area. i'd say that's a huge one. :) i've trained guys in parking lots, and even still it's amazing how they still manage to end up hitting things. :)

take your time, select a low gear speed to begin with. when you let out the ECS controls, do it gradually. when you bring them back in, practice finding the sweet spot where it's in neutral. if you're used to running other walk behinds, your tendency is going to be to want to grab the handles too tightly when it feels like it's out of control. but when you grab them too tightly, it will kick it into reverse and then you'll really get confused. and the mower is going to jump around like crazy too. :)

just take your time, try to keep your movements smooth and controlled, and practice finding that "sweet spot" of neutral between forward and reverse.
  5. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

Im sure i can learn but the problem is that my dad is the one who suppose to use the WB and I do the trimming and blowing ect. But we only used push mowers before.Its going to be intresting.He's never even driven a car before lol...
  6. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

get out the video camera. that first experience will be one worth remembering.
  7. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The controls are the same as most belt drives, except the the grips are inverted. Now I realize you have a T-Bar, I have one too, it really is different. Once you get used to the ECS I'm sure you will like them. Good Luck

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

you say you have a 36" t bar but only use push mowers in past. so you have a 36 t bar but never used it?
  9. green_with_envy

green_with_envy LawnSite Member
    from pa

I love their controls. I had a Hustler t-bar a Husqvarna and a Bob Cat. I went to the ECS without any problem
  10. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

No I helped someone from my chruch that does lawncare and i used the toro for a couple of months .but my dad never used a wb before