tips on zero turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by armorl&s, Sep 23, 2005.

1. armorl&s

armorl&s LawnSite Member

this is my first year with a zero turn mower toro z master 62". i am having trouble in tight areas with the rear tires tearing up the lawn. is this possibly a air pressure problem any help would be greatly appreciated :help: :help: :help:

2. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

you've got to turn it around like you are in a wheelchair....one wheel goes forward, the other backwards.

Dennis

3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, have to do the classic "Y" turn.

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I'll try to explain.This is the easiest method I've come up with as far as explaining.
    Slow down to a crawl near the end of your run.
    If you want to turn around to your left,let go of your right stick and slowly pull back on your left stick.Enough so that your left tire starts rolling in reverse.Never stop the tire from moving.
    Once you get turned around,push your left stick forward,as well as your right stick.
    You need to leave one side(the opposing side to the direction you're turning) going straight while your reversing the other side(the side your turning into).

5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought one myself 2 weeks ago and I have the same problem.

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

the hydro system isn't very forgiving on the toro, you have to be ultra gentle with the levers. also, the stock tyres, they don't grip well so the machine tends to lose traction and scuff very easy. tyres with more grip actually scuff less, hard to believe yes, but true....so dunno why they use that particular carsyle tyre model, it sucks.

and as said, don't zero turn, but more a 'Y' turn. they really should be called YTR's, not ZTR's , lol.

7. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

if ya use that groovy little search feature, you'll likely find hundreds of hits on that subject. :p

8. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

Listen to these guys. Dont lock up the inside tire.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes, the Y-turn, K-turn, don't lock the inside tire, ect...
    Well it just don't always help and work.
    Depends more on the terrain and soil condition.

Heavily shaded lawns are a nightmare because they are so tender.
    I believe it is caused by a lack of traction and simple physics.

10. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm having this same problem so when I read this I took the thoughts given and tried them. No matter how slow or k-turn, y-turn I still tear the turf. So much so I wish I had never bought a Z and stuck with the w/b instead. I love the speed and comfort of a z but this is driving me crazy. Do the tires tear less after some wear or not? Seems to me for flat lawns a slick tire would not tear as much but then any hill you'd be screwed. I have a Ferris 1500 btw.