1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ubirajara83, Feb 2, 2007.

1. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

Does any one have any cool tricks or tips on lawn maintenance that youve learned along the way. I learned this the other day, if you have a weed sprayer that sprays too wide and dont have a smaller tip you can cut the top of a water bottle and put the the drinking spout through the wand so that the cut out round part keeps the spray from spraying too far. Or if you have to blow a long way ride your mower with the blower. Let Us know if you have any cool tricks we can learn.
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

On those stupid Blintz 5 gallon gas cans. If you punch a hole with a screwdrive in the top of it, it makes a great air hole. Put a golf tee in it and when your filling up, pull out the tee and the gas comes out 10 times faster.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is how I've been measuring out the string to put on my linetrimmer spools, keeping in mind I use the thinner .080 stuff so this won't work with .095 because you'll have too much string.

However, a minor adjustment in end location should do it, same goes for longer outfits (due to crew cabs or bigger trailers).

My method was used with a '86 D-250 with a 12-foot trailer.

What to do:
    Tie one end of the string to the gate latch of the trailer, and walk with the spool to the front bumper of the truck as the string unwinds.
    Once at front bumper, snip!
    Yup, correct length every time.

For echos, it's ready to be spooled as is.
    For stihl's, you fold it in half and cut again (as you need two lengths).
    dunno about other brands.
  4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

If you go out and get one of those Craftsman Mechanic Sets. Make sure you got the right size sockets and wrenchs for blades. That set only goes up 1" but a Toro 325 with a 72" deck takes a 1 1/8in socket or Kubota ZD21 takes a 30mm socket.

Also put Anti sieze on those bolts that hold the blades on if your mower is going to sit for a while. Had to use a air tool to get the blades off ended up sheering a bolt off to get it out. Speaking of that if the shoot is coming off the left side its usally backwards threaded. Yeah pulled that one to years ago when I was new in the business.
  5. jdramr4

jdramr4 LawnSite Member

Always carry extra line in your pocket because you always run out when your away from the truck.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL. For measuring string, I just measure out 30 to 36 ft. That is 5 or 6 full armlengths (both arms) for me (6 ft. tall). For the gas cans, one of the best places to poke a vent hole is underneath the handle and toward the back. Gas never splashes or seeps back and under there. :)
  7. ubirajara83

Thats a good one I hate when that happens
  8. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Best time and grime saver I ever spent money on was this type of gas can. No spills and no fooling around with gas caps. In and out real quick.

9. ubirajara83

where did u get it
  10. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member