$$$ Tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you guys recieve tips often after you finish a job?

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mostly just at Christmas time. Although I do have a few customers that wil tip for anything other than normal scheduled maintenance. I treat them like GODS!!!

3. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

This is something I have been wondering about. Running my own operation I get some tips around christmas but not as many as I would have thought. When I was working for a larger outfit the owner used to send a letter with the december invoices stating that if the customer wanted to tip the crew for their property they could send a seperate check and it would be forwarded to the right crew men. This way they didn't have to remember or try to catch us when we were there. It was insane! We usually got almost $1000 total tip per employee.

Now that I am running the show I wanted to know if anyone sends a letter asking customers if they would like to tip that they could send it with the invoice. I didn't know if this seems too much like a solicitation, or just an easier way for them to tip?

4. jay

jay LawnSite Member

I get a tip from one of my customers each time I go out and get tips from some of my other customers when I do special work for them. A tip shouldn't be something you ask for its a way your customers tell you thier happy with thier work. If you feel they need to billed more than do that, but you shouldn't have to ask for a tip. If a waitress came to me and ask for a tip i would probaly give them less because it just seems rude.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When we send out our Christmas cards the first of December, we find that we have the majority of people sending us back a card and some of them are including a check which is really nice.

Then we have one lady who every other cut she gives us a few dollars extra because she says she understands how expensive the gas prices have become. She's a nice elderly lady.

6. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

When I asked about sending a note with the invoices it is not meant as a solicitation, even though it may seem like it. I just think that a lot of people might think about tipping but don't because it is so hard to catch us, especially around christmas. I haven't done this myself, and probably won't unless I hear that others have had success. My past boss had success with it, but I beleive it was because he was asking truly for convenience. Plus, all of the customers knew that he didn't do the work, so all of the tips were going to us, the employees.

7. i have one guy who i worked for this past year who gave some nice tips. older guy, like 74? he and his wife own a house up here for weekends only. place is worth a good 20 million. this spring i was dumping yard refuse on the woods on his property. one day while doing spring clean-up (2 day job) he gave me a 100 dollar cash tip and offered to buy me a tow behind power thatcher for a tractor, they go for like 1,200 right? then i bought my trailer, i keep that there still, then before i went off to college he says to me matthew i would like to give you something for school, guy goes gets his checkbook and wrote a check to my name for 1,000 dollars. (gift for college expenses) then i got my regular paycheck the following week ($850) ? so that is nice... too bad i lost the place to the tree guy. :(

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

x-mas time from many long time resi & few commercial

9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a nice older lady that gives me $2.00 every time i mow GOTTA LOVE IT!

10. motor86

motor86 LawnSite Member

I sometimes get a tip from people. Like said above, most say because of the high gas prices. Little do they know that total cost for me for gas and oil for a yard is about $.20 Oh well, they don't need to know!

Many will ask me to do something extra, like edge a 10 foot sidewalk for an extra $3.00. I do that. Some will give me an extra $5.00 for cutting down some brush next to their driveway. Some will give me a couple of dollars for coming and mowing their lawn and having it done in the next 2 hours so it is done before guests.

It is a good idea to turn down tips every once in a while. Then they think you are there for more than just their money.