Tire bead problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by FFJSV, Aug 2, 2006.

1. FFJSV

FFJSV LawnSite Member

Any ideas! I have a Toro proline 44" walk behind and for some reason I can not keep air in the right front semi-pneumatic caster wheel. I can not find any holes in the tire (after pumping it up I submerged the wheel looking for bubbles). That leaves me with a problem with the bead. I have inflated it to the max (50 psi) and still after a couple of hours the tire is soft again. This even happens when I fill the tire at night while it is on the trailer and then by morning it is soft again. Every dealer around here has gotten slammed hard and are backed way up. They all say drop it off and we will have it fixed in a couple days. Usually my dealer has me up and running again in a couple of hours. I can go one day but any more than that will put me way back. Anybody know how I can repair it myself. Thank you in advance.
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if this is it but try replacing the inside of the valve stem. If you can't figure it out take it to a local tire shop.
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Put some "slime" tire sealant in it and you won't have any more problems.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I agree to either slime it or tube it

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Try cleaning the rim and put some bead sealer on the rim then add a couple of extra lbs. of air.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Slime is the way to go .....
  7. notoriousDUG

notoriousDUG LawnSite Member

It may or may not be the bead. a leak that slow can still come from a puncture, or from the valve stem. Fill a spray bottle with soapy water, VERY soapy water inflate to the max and spray it down, the leak will show up. Replace the valve, clean and seal the bead or plug as needed.
  8. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

"Patience Luke" (Obie Wan Kenobi). If it leaks down this quickly it should reveal itself with some soap in the tub you completely submerse tire/wheel assembly into. It might even be a good excuse to inspect and pack those wheel bearings you have been trying to get around to.:rolleyes: