1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire Changing Secret

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JPL, Jun 11, 2008.

1. JPL

JPL LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,
    What is the secret for replacing a tire on a rim on a Scag mower?
    The tire is a 13/650-6 Tire Carlisle Turf Saver.
    I want to swap the tire on the rim as the current tire is no good.
    I have removed the old tire (easy) but now I need to put the old one on.
    PS. the rim and tire is removed from the machine. :confused:
  2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

The secret is.....
    The smaller the tire, the harder it is. (Especially if you are doing it with 2 screwdrivers or a tire spoon.)

If the tire has a "bump" on the inside of the lip to help the tire bead stay on, you're hosed. (Like a Deere.)
    Cheaper rims don't usually have this "bump", as an MTD or Sears.

If you find yourself changing a lot of tires, get yourself the wikco tire changer :
  3. JPL

JPL LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tire changer info. But here's what I did cause you got to do what you got to do..... I had and old car tire rim and the center boss of the small rim fit through the center of the car rim. Then I drilled 4 clearance holes to line up with the 4 pully threaded bolt holes and bolted the small rim to the old car tire rim. Then I brought the assembly to the station where I buy all my gas and asked the guy there to mount the assembly to the car tire machine and mount the new tire on the small rim. Presto done in flash. It's great to be clever.....I think????????
  4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

wow. ingenous but my tire shop just puts the mower rim on the machine.

when i change them i use some old oil to make it slick around the bead, and place the side that has a shallower lip facing up (usually this is the side that has the valve stem). this allows the tire to flex to its maximum w/o having to stretch it over the larger lip.

(i used to work p/t at a tire shop) its hard on a small tire but doing what i said makes it easier if you must do it yourself. i still use the tire shop though.
  5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

take it to walmart tire shop.
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I second that. We take tire some times down the road to a tire shop about a mile down the road. Not worth the cost and time to mess with them. And they have all the right tools and machines.
  7. devnuts

devnuts LawnSite Member
    from CT

just got a flat on my scag walk behind...how do you get the tire off the machine??
  8. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I agree, they're not fun to fool with but I don't know of any tire shops in our area that will touch the job for less than $20. Once broken off the rim, I can change out a tire in 10 minutes with two large screwdrivers and a pair of vise grips. For the smaller tires, I have old shafts of various diameters that will fit the various bores in the wheels. I mount the shaft in a vise(vertically) and with the screwdrivers pry the wheel off. Use the visegrip on the rim to prevent the backward movement of the tire. Usually, once one side of the tire is off the rim, the other side can be pulled over the rim by hand. For the larger tires, I mount a 3/8 bolt in the vise, put one lug nut hole over the bolt and run a nut down on it to secure the wheel and tire, then proceed as with the smaller tires. I have one of the old Gray air bumper jacks with a rack mounted on it that I use raise work up on to a workable height. I raise the lift up and with a short 4x4, pinch the tire between the rack and 4x4. If I didn't have the lift I'd run over the tire(not the rim) with my pickup tire. Works for me but your mileage(and temperment) may vary. just my two cents.

I've used the small tire removal setups and they didn't work well for me.
  9. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have that same tire changer but it all depends, some times I spend an hour or two fighting and persuading and pleading and
    begging and laughing and crying until it finally goes on, other times it slips on so easy I'm like, how did I just do that!?

Takes me anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours to put on a tire.
    I'm guessing the secret is time, random luck factors, and patience.

Now I spent a good $50 or $60 on a couple of special tire irons made for those tires, but I'm still not sure if that makes it any better.
    NAPA sells them, for a piece of bent iron they are NOT cheap!
    One half wonders if a crowbar wouldn't work, I keep one of those handy also.
    Yes, I am a believer, the more pieces of odd-shaped iron sticks around, the better.

I like using Windex to lube the rim, old motor oil works good, too, the thing about the oil is
    it can get on parts I don't want slick, the Windex can also but it dries up.
    In the end thou, Lube that rim!

Oh, the link appears to have changed, to:

Car tires ain't much easier :p

Btw, don't use screwdrivers.
    And you need TWO tire spoons or one spoon and an iron, at least.

These aren't the ones I use, but they look like some along these lines:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009