1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire dosn like me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Got Grass?, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Have a new tire/rim on my sulky caster. Not paying much attention I hit the corner of the trailer ramp. Flatenend the tire and broke the bead. For some reason I cant re-set the bead on the tire to reinflate it. No damage to anything just being a pain. I tried the belt/rachet method and that dosnt seem to wanna work. Any other sugestions to reset it? I really dont wanna take it in somewhere.
  2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

get either a cheap tub of grease or a lot of vasaline (however you spell it? Smear gobbs all the way around on either side along the rim and tire closing all cracks and holes..then use an airtank or go to a filling station that has an airhouse that will push air fast into the tire...also how are you trying to fill your tire while using the ratchet method? if you are plugging a 12 volt air pump into your outlet in the truck and trying to fill the tire with it you are wasting your time..like i said portable air tank or go to a filling station with a high pressure hose..hope this helps
  3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

get some beead sealer and put it on teh tire and rim then put a strap around it and fill it, pertty much do what cajancutter said. But make sure that you didn't puncture the tire when you hit the ramp. You could also put a tube in it.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

This is a little dangerous-I do it to any tire that wont seat.I use ether,spray it inside the tire,all around,then throw a match at the tire/wheel.It will blow up,blowing the tire right onto the bead.This needs to be done very quickly,as ether evaporates fast.Then you need to be ready to quickly fil the tire with air,because after 5 seconds or so,the tire will softernas it cools,and pop back off the bead.So as soon as the tire sets,wait 3 seconds,then fill it with air,all will be fine.I'm not recommending anyone do this if they arent comfortable with it,I do at least3times a year-havent blown a tire or myself up yet.
  5. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I would do that on such small tire, It's too easy to spray to much into a little tire and blow the tire up. I've done that on backhoe tires, skid steer tires and truck tires but I would not do it on such a small tire. If you do it just be very careful.
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I would really like to watch that blow up tire thing.... dave
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I spent hours one day after rubbing a trailor tire against a curb and knocking the bead loose. About drove me crazy because i had fixed a problem like this before and this time no way. Was using a 5 hp air tank. next time I will try the vaseline fix that sounds like a safe way.
  8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

When I put on a small tire, I use Never Seeze in the solid form, not spray. It comes with a brush and this will stop rim leaks too. It also keeps the rim from rusting around where the bead is. I just brush it on the bead of the tire after I get it on the rim and it seems to work good. If the bead isn't hitting the rim on both sides, I put a nylon rope around the tire and tie a knot and leave it very loose. I put a metal rod through the rope and twist it until it tightens the rope up enough to spread the tire so both beads are touching the rim. Once it starts taking air, you can let go of the rod to loosen the rope.
    I hope this helps.