1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire Foam?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshlawn, Nov 18, 2002.

1. joshlawn

joshlawn LawnSite Member

I've heard a little about putting tire foam in the smaller tires to keep them from going flat as often. What is it called exactly? Where do I get it?

TWINTREESLAWN LawnSite Member

The stuff I switched to is called green slime. I did not have any problems this past year. I have now put it into my bobcat loader and all of my trailer tires. It is takes longer to put in and costs more then "tire foam"/ "fix a flat," but the results seem to be worth the time and money. Good luck, Steve
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have had good luck with Slime also. I put it in about 4 different tires this past summer (most were slow leakers) and they have all held up so far.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have not yet had a flat on my 4 mowers with air in the tires in almost 2 1/2 years of use. Am I just doing something right?

Seems like ALOT of other people just take flats as part of the biz. I did have a slow leak in my right rear trailer tire due to a nail, but I pulled it and plugged it. Now I have the plug kit in my truck. Guess I ought to keep it there.
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

OOPS, my bad, that's a lie, I just remembered I did get a flat in my W/B one time. Caught a roofing nail in the left drive tire. It was a slow leaker too. In fact I didn't even notice it till the mower started cutting unevenly. Then I noticed the tire was way low and plugged it.
  6. that slime works great as long as the holes aint in the side part of the tire.

Id recomend it highly it seals up nail holes real good.Slime works good in the trailer tires to.
  7. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Get them "foam" filled ... you will never get a flat, and will only have to replace the tire when the tread wears out and you are driving on foam.... got all of my fronts done and two of the backs on one machine.
  8. joshlawn

joshlawn LawnSite Member

Thanx for the help guys, as always this forum is great!:waving:
  9. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

KLMlawn -

Where did you get the foam? Did you put it in yourself or a tire dealer? What about inflation pressure after? I have a flat on a castor I need to fix.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Go to any tire dealer and get the foam filling. They usually charge by weight and most have a minimum charge. There are different brands and some is much heavier than others. I personally like the heavier foam in my Toro WB's tires. Be advised that when you need a new tire (tread is worn off) you have to chop the tire and foam off the rim so it is advisable to put foam in a newer tire.
    The foam completely fills the air space in the tire so you will never have a flat again. You can stick a screwdriver into the tire and keep moving.

The slime is a flat preventer by filling small holes that may happen in a tire with air. Some have luck with it but if you want 100% guarantee on no flats - get them foamed. You are right when you say, only in the small caster tires too.