1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire marks on my lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dennismc, Aug 21, 2004.

1. dennismc

dennismc LawnSite Member

This is my first time on this list, and I'm hoping to find an answer to my problem.
    Last week I had three trees cut down on my property, To access the trees, the crew had to drive their large truck across my back lawn, As a result, I have tread marks about three inches deep around my lawn. It's heavy clay soil, not much top soil, only in spots that I filled in over the years. Whats' the best way to treat these tire marks??
  2. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Similar questions to this have been answered on this forum before, so you can do a search, maybe on the keyword "ruts".

What I've gathered is that it's best to fill in the ruts with fill or top soil, rake a bit, and spread grass seed.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just fill them with topsoil and seed the area after loosening the soil in the ruts themselves.
  4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Great advice dvmcmrhp52.
    Might I ad,work your topsoil into the existing clay ruts and then cover with just topsoil.
    Reason:Clay holds water.By loosening the soil and adding in topsoil(or even sand),and then filling,you'll allow for better drainage should you get a few days rain.
    If not,your drainage will only consist of the topsoil layer and your seed will be sitting in water upon a few heavy rains.