1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire plug....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by gogetter, Dec 17, 2005.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Alright, here's a dumb question. I have a tire plug kit for my mower tires. Are these plugs the same that they use in car/truck tires?

The reason I ask, I have a screw in my truck tire and if I can just plug it myself with the plug kit that I have, rather then take it to a tire place and pay them $35 or whatever it is, I'd certainly rather do it myself.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No they are not the same .Take your truck in and have them do it.Unless of coarse you have a tire changing machine in your garage like I do.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Plugs are just temporary means for your tire to hold air till you get to your tire shop. If your tire has good tread on it and you plug it, the plug will allow water to wick down to the steel belts and possibly cause the tire to fail.
    Get a radial plug patch at the tire shop. Around here it costs between 8 to 12 bucks balance included. I can explain further in detail if you like, but I'll keep it simple.
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Oh well, guess I'll have to take it to a shop then. But I think the last time I took it in for a plug, it ran me about $30-35.

Thanks though Matt.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't let them plug your auto tires. Make them hot patch them. Plugs are no good for your car or truck for the reasons Matt said above. Actually no tire dealers around here will even plug a car or truck tire. Now on my mower tires, i plug away.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I've run plugs in car tires for a cple yr until the tire was worn out with out any problems. I just put the tire on the back in case of a blow out.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh man you tire got screwed....
  8. Thib

Thib LawnSite Member

I was raised on a farm and we use plugs in any tire 20 inch or smaller. Sometimes we would have two or three plug in our truck tires we just made sure the tire was on the back
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

So you dont believe in rotating your tires?
    I like going around a sharp bend and my rear tire blows out. To make it worse you're on your way to a wedding wearing your Sunday's finest.
    Temporary plug = great to get to tire shop
    Radial patch plug = peace of mind. :D
  10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Gotta question for ya mr tire guru. lol. I have a temp plug on my trailer, I need to get a radial patch plug, how much does it usually cost, and will the air stay in the tire over the cold winter until spring when I bring it back out? or should I get it repaired asap even though im not using it?