Tire popped off of bead

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GravelyGuy, Dec 3, 2006.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

The tire popped off of my Billy Goat. It is just one of those small pneumatic tires. How do I get it to go back on? It's on the rim, I just can't get it to hold the air.

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

take a belt or similar and wrap around the tire. pull tight and manipulate the tire to push the bead out to rim. keep pulling tighter and soon it will touch the rim and hit it with compressed air not a hand pump.

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Same thing happened to me last week on my sulky tire. Im going to put bead sealant on and see if that helps any. I actually got mine to hold air but I had to over inflate it quite a bit.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's just a bit tricky, takes some doing but it's mostly time consuming and a bit frustrating, also watch your fingers...

What you need is a sharp (or several sharp) blasts of air, you will need at least 90 psi in the line, so an air compressor like at the gas station or if you have one... What I'm saying is, hand pumps and small 12v pumps are not powerful enough (they don't put out enough volume, and you need cfm lol), in some cases a can of fix-a-flat might do it but I dislike using that except in an emergency... anyway...

What you do, the best way is if you can get the whole tire + rim off the ground, sometimes you can just prop the machine a certain way, the idea is to get the pressure off the bottom and so the tire and rim rotate freely.

Then, with your hands align the tire best you can along the groove.
    Now, WATCH YOUR FINGERS LOL!!!
    With one hand, get the air inflation nozzle and pop it onto the valve, with the other hand continue aligning the tire along the rim... As air blasts into the tire, you want to kind of wiggle it back and forth and stuff, try to get it to seal.
    One more time: don't get your fingers caught between the rubber and the steel. usually, grabbing the main treaded part is good enough, just wiggle and wobble that thing and try and get the rubber as close to the rim as you can, rotating it helps too.

If all else fails, try also spraying good quantities of windex all along the seal and where the rubber meets, the soap helps.
    Just takes time and patience, really.

5. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I'll try the belt. I am using a compressor. Thanks a lot for the tip.

6. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

After you wrap the tire with something, belt,rope. Put some dish washing liquid on the bead of the tire, it will help.

7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Wow, it went right on. I used some dish liquid. Thanks a lot for the help.

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Next time wrap a rachet strap around the tire to put pressure on it to seal against the rim. Soap helps.

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Spray some starting fluid inside the tire and toss a match at it. POOOOOF its on check pressue and off to work. It works!

10. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

A lot of times, just bouncing the tire on the rim a few times will seat the bead. The strap idea works well for the tougher applications, or the rope with a Spanish windlass. Never tried the starting fluid & probably never will.