Tire Pressure?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Aug 9, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

How much air pressure are you guys/gals running in your drive tires? I'm running a Walker MT-54 and am running 20lbs. in them. Would you get more traction with more or less than that? Thanks for your input.
    Mowman

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I run 8 lbs. in the back of my Choppers, 10 is the maximum they recommend and you can go as low as 6 lbs. Usually the lower the pressure, the more traction you have and the better the ride too. I run 20 in the front tires.

3. dhicks

dhicks Member

I'm doing 13 and 13 both front and rear. No problems yet.

4. Alan

Alan Member

Ten in the rears on my Lazer Z and 15 in the front, which are foam filled. In all truth I'm tempted to try going to a little taller tire and dropping the pressure until I get the same rolling radius as I've got now. Might improve the ride a little. As a rule traction will improve as pressure drops, although I think that side hill traction might suffer.

5. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running 15 in front and 12 in back 6 on drive tires on a grasshopper. can ride all day and still feel good at night.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

On my Grasshopper G1 I run 8lbs in drive tires and 18lbs in the rears. On my G2 I run 11 lbs in the drive tires and 18lbs in the rears. The front deck tires are foam filled.