Tire question for super mini 20" to 23"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cutter LLC, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Okay, I have a super mini z with the 20" rear tires and just found out the new 12" rim and 23" tires will fit. I think this might put too much pressure on the front casters giving a poor ride ( the exact opposite effect I want ). Can I/should I get larger caster tires to compensate, or will the added weight in the front not have a heavy effect? The tires are coming in Thurs. and just wanted some feed back on this issue. Has anybody changed out their rear 20" tires on a super mini z? I can readjust the pitch of the deck by adding another link in the chain and adjusting accordingly. I hope someone has tried and succeeded in this project already.

Thanks Cutter LLC :help:

2. Cutter LLC

from Indiana

bumpity bump

3. Cutter LLC

from Indiana

Please help, thanks

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Post this in the Hustler forum and you should get an answer. I thought Mowerconsultant said it wouldn't work.

5. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I think you would probably have to change the front also,or you would not get a even cut.........only speclating...........but I think that is what would hapen!

6. Cutter LLC

from Indiana

Mower consultant said the 23" wheels and tires wouldn't fit due to clearance, but was misinformed. They do fit there is no question. I even drove the mower around a bit and noticed a little stiffer ride. I was just wondering if anybody else has done this mod or maybe put 26" tires on a 24" unit. Did you change the front? Did it make a difference? I think I might just be able to slide some larger front tires in the front forks, but there might be a clearance issue there. I wonder.....................

Thanks,
    Cutter

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you might be the first to try it. How much did the set of tires cost you? Let us know how it works out with the ride, cut ,etc.

8. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What's that going to do to your deck pitch?

9. Cutter LLC

from Indiana

Directly from hustler the rims and tires were about 400 bucks but my dealer ordered them for 220. I don't know where but I'll find out.

As far as deck pitch this is also a problem. It can be adjusted, but I don't know how much. I was thinking of adding another link in the chain (floating deck) but it needs to be an odd number of links (5 now). I think 2 more links would have too much play in the deck. If I raised the front as well, with larger tires, the deck would probably be at the right pitch, but would raise my overall cut height from 1-5" to 2-6". This would actually be preferred due to cutting at 3.25" or higher all the time, and being able to cut down the tall stuff easier. I just don't know what tires to fit the front. Right now they are 13 x 5 on a 6inch rim. Maybe I can take the entire front fork off a super Z.

Just trying to create a super duper mini z

Thanks guys for all your help. I'll post some pics if I'm not too embarrassed later (It looks like a drag mower with the rear wheels soo big)

Cutter

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Little easier to converse here....

Yeah, the 'drag mower' effect is what I was speaking of.
    Now that I know we are on the same page with this... which deck do you have?

Anyways, remember that running low pressures out back will help shave some off of the 1.5" lift you may end up with in back. Higher air pressures out front will help a little towards leveling the frame rake. But not a lot, and the ride will be harsher.

But incorrect frame rake may also throw the machine out of balance, making the ride rougher and affecting the smooth control of the machine. Remember that raising the rear also changes the caster fork rake.... You get into all sorts of unknowns and speculations there that will be hard to know about fully until the 23's are actually mounted.

Anyways, assuming low running low pressure puts you at 1" high in the back, then going from a 13" front tire to a 15" front tire would level you out just right at 1" higher all the way around. As for sources, Gravely is one MFG that runs 15's out front on many of their Z's. But I'm doubting you have the clearances for it.

You may end up being forced to custom front forks.... which could be fabricated to still use the current 13" tires. They would just need to be the correct fork rake angle and otherwise the same as your current forks, but be 1" taller or whatever you need at the SHAFT. Understand what I'm saying?

Maybe the Super Z forks would put you there. I don't know. You'd have to check them. If so you could just order 2 full assemblies with the forks, wheels, tires and all. That would be nice if it would happen to measure right and also interchange.