Tire question, want to go bigger....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwost, Apr 12, 2004.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, I've read several posts about people changing to larger tires for a variety of reasons. I'm about due for a new set and would like to possibly go a bit wider or bigger. I currently have 16x6.50-8's on my WB. I MIGHT be able to fit a 16x7.50 which is one option, the other is to go to an 18x6.5. What would the benefits of a taller tire be? I'm guessing a better ride over rough terrain, but what about traction? Will I be better off trying to fit the smaller/wider tire or going a bit bigger with the same width? Please help me out!!! :)

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

You dont want to change the tire height very much. Because it will throw off the deck level.

3. dwost

Good point, however, the Hydro version of my mower comes standard with 18x8.50-8 wheels. I also have the same floating deck as used on the hydro. I figured it would be off a bit, but honestely, I wouldn't mind gaining an inch or so of additional cutting height if needed. I was looking to swap out the entire rim assembly, however due to the hydro drives it won't fit. It also has the same size fron't castors.

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You can just re-level the deck after you install the larger wheels. Remember going to the bigger 18" tire will only raise the deck about 1 inch.
    DP

5. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

It's going to affect the gearing. The mower will travel much faster in each gear than it did before with the shorter tires. Also, the torque will suffer, like pulling a heavy person on a sulky will be harder.

It's just like putting taller tires on your truck. It's going to take off slower, but go faster once you're up to speed.

6. dwost

Thanks for the input. I'm not as worried about the raising of the deck as I am of the torque issue. Not sure if this will affect me or not. I'm #175 and it has no issues pulling me now. Do you think there will be a significant loss of power going to the 18?? I'm leaning toward sticking with the 16's and try to go a bit wider. I'd like to get better traction.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I was told by a guy in R&D at a major mower manufacturer (won't mention name) that for every inch taller of tire you gain 1 mph speed. Bigger tire will have more traction. Try for a 17x7.50 if it fits that will get better traction and be a little faster, but not enough to affect torque a lot.

8. dwost

Thanks Eric,

I'm not sure I can fit the 7.5 as it may rub the belts. I'm going to have to measure to see. How about sticking to the 6.5" width and getting the 18"? I've not seen a 17" tire and actually the 18 is only going to raise me about an inch. This should give me better traction anyway right??

9. Doc Pete

I'm sorry, that's just BS. If you go from 16" to 18", it's a marginal difference, maybe 10%. Case in point, I've already done it many times with all my machines.
    DP

10. Doc Pete

Ya know this is just stupid. Pardon my French, but it just is. Go look at different tire specs. Different tread designs and different tire manufacturer's have different diameters for the same size tire.
    You "CAN" do this modification, just take a bit of time and look around. Most machines have enough torque to spin a tire on the ground, so don't worry about a torque problem.
    DP............
    Got for it!!:blob2: