1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire questions

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scott's turf, Oct 14, 2005.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I need 2 new tires for my 52" lazer hp. The ones on there right now are 24X950-12. My other lazer (which is not in service) is 1 year older and has 23" tires. I asssume either size will be fine but I wanted some opinions. I only ask because the 23" tires appear to be more available.

Secondly, do any of you own a mini tire changer and if so how does it work? I am hoping better than the screw driver/ pry bar method I use. J-Thomas has one for around $60 that I was going to buy in my order.

Thanks for the help
  2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Coats offers a total manual tire machine, but I'm not sure of the cost. Also I know wwwrrproducts.com offers a simpler manual tire machine as well, probably much like J-Thomas.
    We use the Coats manual machine for years and were able to do most tires on it, however for rims with the hub built in to the rim we built our own mounting system for these. Still a pain. However since then we have upgrade to a larger Coats machine, since we do a lot of tire repairs.
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

careful with the screw driver, you can easliy ruin the bead of the tire.....you can get the tire removal spoons pretty cheaply...Never had any problems...
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You want to go with the 24" tire if that's what it came with. Your looking at a 1" tire height. Would require deck readjustment and your casters may not like the angle change.

Look here.... http://www.carlisletire.com/products/turf_handlers/multi_trac/index.html

I think there is a typo in their size. There are a bunch of 23" tires then it only has ONE 24" selection....right above the 24x12.00-12 is a 23x9.50-12.....I believe that it SHOULD read 24, as there already is a 23x9.50-12 just a few above it. The diameter is listed as 24". This is likely what you need.
  5. scott's turf

from NH

Thanks for the help,

I got the 24" tires and the tire changer. I was able to get the old tires off and the new ones on but I don't have enough air volume to get the bead to set. I removed the valve in the step but there is so much air getting out. Is there a way to do this or do I have to bring it into a mechanic?
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Put a ratchet strap around the tire, and crank down a bit. With a clip on tire chuck thus allowing you to "massage" the tire enough for it to grab.

You are using a 20+gal tank compressor, right?

And your not trying to put 24x12-12's on that smaller rim are you?
  7. scott's turf

from NH

I used the ratchet strap already to no avail. The rims are the same size (12"). Only the outer diameter of the tire was different. I am using a 30 gallon comressor too. Oh well, thanks for the help.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I was always under the assumption that a 23-9.50-12 equipped mower had a narrower rim size than a 24-12.00-12 equipped mower.

I may be wrong on this though.

Why not just go to a tire store or your dealer?

There are certain things I do myself to save labor charges, etc. However tires are always something best left to guys doing it every 5 minutes during the day compared to every 5 years.
  9. scott's turf

from NH

I just dropped them off today to get mounted. The tire size difference was only in the O.D. one was 24-950-12 the other was 23-950-12.

Learned a good lesson that I can't mount tires that big. He will probably not even chage me anything.
  10. mpm32

mpm32 LawnSite Member

I saw this show on discovery once where these guys were driving across the ice bridge between Alaska and Russia. They were running very low tire pressures for traction. Every once and a while the tire would peel off of the rim. They pulled the tire off the truck. To set the bead, they squirted some lighter fluid in to the tire, waited a bit for nice vapours to form and then threw a match. Popped the bead on every time. Thought it was an interesting solution to their problem. Now that I think about it, they should've had bead lock rims.