1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire repair

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by JimmyStew, Jun 18, 2007.

1. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

It was bound to happen eventually, but I got a nail stuck in the rear tire of my tractor. The tires are filled with RimGuard and I assume no tube (I'll call the dealership this week to verify). As it is right now, there is no liquid leaking from around the nail. When I park the tractor, I make sure the nail is on the top. What is the best way to repair this? I can't take the tire off and bring it to a repair shop so my options are have a tire guy come to my shop or fix it myself. Can these tire be repaired using a plug like a vehicle tire? How hard will it be to do it (I've never actually plugged a tire but have seen it done many times and it seems like there is a lot of muscle needed)?
  2. Gordy19

Gordy19 LawnSite Member

I have pluged the tires on my 4300 several times just make sure you get a good pro repair kit not a cheap one I carry mine with me got to love carpenters
  3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gordy19 is right. Get a good plugger kit. ("T" handle) Plugging a tire is pretty simple and it doesn't require much strength. Go to Harbor Freight or Walmart, and you'll hav'er fixed in no time. :weightlifter:
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Google search for Gemplers. They have a complete line of tire repair tools and supplies. The fix that I have had the most luck with is the plug gun that puts a mushroom shaped plug into the hole through a steel tube that you insert into the hole. With rim guard or other liquid ballast you want the hole to be at the 12 o'clock position, and the weight off the tire, for a couple of days, so the liquid drains away from the plug area, and doesn't interfere with the cement used to hold the plug in.:waving: :waving:
  5. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. I saw that plug gun (in gemplers actually) and wondered about it. Sounds like you've had good luck with it. Does it work pneumatically or what?
  6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

The gun that I use came from Gemplers, it has 3 sizes of plugs and tubes. Kinda works like a pop rivet gun, you squeeze the handle, and it pushes the plug through the tube, until the head pops through the tube, then you remove the steel tube, and the plug remains in the tire(if everything was done right). Comes with good directions.:waving: :waving: